Potential Valium Problem

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been going through hell in the last few weeks, literally hitting a kind of all round rock bottom.

In order to sleep and get through some of this I have resorted to using valium of unknown strength provided by a friend for about 2 weeks. 

Today is the first day I have not taken any and I feel a bit odd, tense perhaps.  I have also been taking codeine over the counter for years on and off and smoke a lot of skunk, so I know I am a mess and need help for it all.

Could I be physically addicted and should I take a half to taper off for a week or two and hope my GP is understanding?

Thanks,

Her

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes you can get physically and mentally addicted you do need help if your GP isn't sympathetic to you you could see a drugs councillor there very good and can get in touch with your GP on your behalf xxxxx

• Posted

Hi You can also self refer to NA.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Carol.

N/A is called Narcotics Anonymous, where a group of men and women who meet and talk about their experiences of living a life with and without drugs. It's a lot like Alcoholics anonymous.

• Posted

Hi Sheneedshelp.

I am not a g.p but I do know a lot about addiction and if you're taking codeine in any way at all for a long period and smoke lots of skunk , you're definitely going to Taper down on both of them.

I don't know how many benzos you've been taking but in order to become physically dependent on a "normal dose" e.g. 5mg daily, it takes 3weeks to be addicted.

Because you have been taking unknown quantities I would taper down just in case.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey.

• Posted

I know nothing about skunk, but you must know the strength of the Valium from our friend.. I can only advise you to see your GP.  I was taking 10mg at night to help me sleep after my husband died after a long battle with cancer .  A year later the dosage was reduced to 5mg.  I came off them some years later and at first I felt great and full of energy but about 5 days later I got the jitters so went back on them and GP began a gradual weaning off.

I got down to 2mg and as that is a very low dose decided to stay on them.

I don't know about Skunk but think it is a class A recreational/dangerous drug.  Codeine I collapsed unconscious after  taking a prescription 60mg + paracetamol on an empty stomach for pain in back of my neck.

Please see your GP as soon as possible but is best if the valium dosage you have been taking is known so you can have the appropriate reduced dose to be weaned off it.

Good Luck.

• Posted

What happened when you collapsed with codeine I take codeine and abit worried now xxxx
    • Posted

I  used Codeine occasionally for pain.  It was 60mg, taken on an empty stomach that caused it.

I had used 5mg , 10mg and 30mg with Paracetamol and was fine.

Everone is different in how they react to medication.

My main problem was that I hit my head when I fell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.