Potentially developing HS? (advice appreciated)

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm in my early twenties and am concerned I may be developing HS. I'm training as a healthcare professional, so luckily I'm aware of the condition, but consequently, I'm also aware of how profound of an impact it can have on one's life.

Basically, I had (what I initially suspected to be) a big ingrown hair in my groin area. This was notable for me because I don't think I've ever had one before. It wasn't particularly painful, but did have a head (although nothing came out). It's now a month or so later, and the "ingrown hair" has scarred (looks like a purple stretch mark, almost) and I have another lesion on the other side. This one leaked pus and was slightly more painful, but not overwhelmingly so (only when touched, though).

Does this sound familiar to anyone diagnosed with HS? I'm aware that if it was HS, it would be very early stages, but I'm considering getting it checked out to try and prevent progression, if possible. I've heard HS often goes misdiagnosed or undiagnosed for a very long time as well, which also concerns me.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi I'm diagnosed with HS and this does sound quite familiar. I think it is worth getting checked out. It could just be reoccurring ingrown hairs but either way the Doctor could help you get to the bottom of it. I would advise not shaving near the area (if you still do) because this might trigger more lesions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.