POTS??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello 

I've been ill for some time now following a bad case of tonsilitis. Severe weakness and a achiness dizziness headaches tingly legs pins and needles in legs. Unable to sleep properly. 

I recently had a heart scan and heart monitor. Heart scan came back fine.. heart monitor showed beats of 150 a minute. I have to have the tilt table and have been told I may have POTS but have no clue what this is. Does anybody have this or know more about symptoms or treatment??

Thankyou 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you're having a tilt-table test, that's the best way of finding out if you have PoTS. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it until you get results back one way or the other, but you could google for 'postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome'. It is a relatively new field and there are some considerable uncertainties here, so reading up might be less worthwhile because of that. Hopefully they do find something useful for you.
    • Posted

I am worrying because I've felt really ill for a while now and I just want to know what it is. I want some answers it's frustrating. Thankyou Fidd
    • Posted

I understand. Unfortunately, there's a lot that we still don't know, so sometimes we just don't have worthwhile answers to find. Fingers crossed that your testing will find something significant.
    • Posted

Have you found answers that you need Fidd? Yes fingers crossed :-)
    • Posted

Only in so far as I'm better informed about how much we don't know. Sometimes just that can be useful.
  • Posted

Hello Gemma, 

I wrote a post on this board about post viral symptons. Three months ago apparently I had a viral infection. Anyway cut a long story short. I am still fatigue but above all I have pins and needles in my feet and hot and cold sensation in my legs. The feeling of prickly legs is 24 hour seven. Basically my legs feel week and jelly like. 

I have appointments with my nuerologist who keeps saying it will pass. Well 3 months have gone and still not passing.  Are your pins and needles all the time ? 

Elle 

• Posted

Hi Elle

I'm exactly the same. Had tonsilitis over three months ago and still feel terrible. I was so sure I had m.e/cfs but now I've been told that pots is a possibility as it has many of the same symptoms. I don't have pins and needles all the time but do get it alot throughout the day in the hands feet and sometimes legs. Even if I'm moving around and doing things I still get it. Hopefully we will both get some answers soon.

• Posted

Hello Gemma, 

Oh dear - you going to get through it don't worry. Know it's hard. I am sorry POTS sounds scarier than what I have. It's the unknowing that is frustrating. Try to rest when you can. 

Sorry can't be much help as I do not know anything about POTs. Sending you much positive thoughts and energy. Every bit helps smile 

• Posted

Hi Elle

Thankyou, we definitely need positive thoughts to help us get through it don't we! Yes it really is frustrating not knowing... and so many things have the same symptoms! Hope you get more answers soon. Take it easy :-)

• Posted

POTSs stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. In other words, when you stand for any length of time, you can have symptoms like heart rate speeding and blood pressure dropping. Thus you can get dizzy or can even faint. I don't see why a tilt table test is necessary. You can Google POTS and find ways to deal with it. There are non-drug approaches, like wearing pressure hose and drinking electrolytes, like Gatorade. In general, it's good to drink a lot of water. For speeding heart rate, I take Lopressor, a beta blocker.
    • Posted

Thankyou Jackie.  Without the tilt table how would it be diagnosed? I have too many symptoms to deal with it myself and try to sort out treatments suitable for me. The weakness and achyness on its own would be impossible to cure by myself.
    • Posted

I understand why you want to get the test. I just decided that my symptoms were evience that I had POTS, and I accordingly pursued non-drug treatments. I guess the question to ask yourself, and maybe your doctor, is, given your symptoms, would the treatment be any different if the tilt table test revealed POTS. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.