POTS and anxiety?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello,

I've been diagnosed with Hyperadrenergic Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome in the last year, and have suffered significant anxiety and agoraphobia ever since my symptoms became much worse.

I was wondering if anyone else gets this?

I sometimes can't tell what is POTS and what is anxiety, because of the cross over of symptoms. I thought I was having a panic attack because I was tachycardic, sweaty, had heart palpitations, dizziness, clamminess and felt like I needed (or was going to) hyperventilate, but when I looked at my legs, I noticed that my feet/legs were blue up until the knee, and on moving around/sitting down the anxiety/panick attack symptoms go.

I know that the symptoms are similar (and that's why I was just diagnosed with anxiety for ages before having appropriate dysautonomia testing), but I haven't heard of anyone with POTS suffering with anxiety as badly as I do.

Sorry it's a bit of a ramble.

Any advice is much appreciated! smile 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm so sorry Amy, I realise how frightened you must feel. The blue legs is called Raynaluds so I suggest you see your GP and have a chat. Reassurnce will help! 
  • Posted

I'm suffering anxiety really bad but recently found my heart to race while standing it's always done it just not as bad I've always been dizzy ect well I've been monitoring my heart and apart from two tachycardia attacks while sat down where my heart rste is 159 ect everytime I stand my heart rate goes from normal to 147 ect in matter of minutes I can't stand for long I'm 24 just had a baby 8 weeks ago and not too sure what's going on but I've had symtoms of pots since I was 15 and when I had my other son in 2012 I started having blacking out episodes where my heart would race when I stood up and my feet go purple / blue I was then diagnosed with Reynolds but it makes sence I'm. Going to get tested soon
  • Posted

Hi ... I was diagnosed with POTS last year but have had panic attacks and agoraphobia for years (I wonder now how many panic attacks were pots flare ups !) I really struggle still to cope when I feel lightheaded and hate the anxiety I feel. Not sure what's pots and what's panic. Some days I am fine and feel clear headed and can do and go almost anywhere. Other days I feel very wobbly. Xx

• Posted

Hi Amy, I haven't been officially diagnosed with POTS but I'm getting tested soon. Upon standing I definitely feel fatigue and lightheaded, however I also have anxiety and noticed a few ways to tell if it's POTS or Anxiety. If you're feet are blue or red, it's more likely to be POTS then Anxiety. If you have experienced something or thought of something that may be considered a trigger for your anxiety and are experiencing symptoms like heart palpitations, tremors, etc. and not so dizzy or lightheaded then it's most likely anxiety. Hope this helps some.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.