POTS and mobility?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with POTS this past month after over 12 months of symptoms. Over the past few weeks the symptoms have been getting progressively worse, the management is new and will take time to hopefully get things under control. I have recently returned to university after being advised by my doctors not to drive due to the increase in symptoms. This has lead to the use of public transport and walking (not my strongest ability with my symptoms). My commuting time has been tripled to over an hour and I'm walking in excess of 4/5 miles a day after getting to and from campus and from building to building between lectures. 

Luckily I haven't gotten to the point of collapse yet, my symptoms are such that I can understand when I am reaching my limit, I suffer more with presyncopy rather than actual loss of consciousness. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these issues? Any recommendation to overcome the obstacles without having to throw in the towel and admit defeat to my symptoms? Any advice is welcome.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had POTS for many many years. You can except your symptoms but don't ever admit defeat. If you do your body will just get weak and your symtoms will get worse. It's hard I know but you have to keep pushing through. I have some really bad days and some okay days. I never ever have a good day. It's part of POTS. I can't tell you a magic trick to get through your day. Just keep a schedule as consistent as possibe and take care of your body. Some say salt helps. I have not found this to be any of help. Get up slowly and listene to your body if you need to sit down for a bit then do it. Exactly why is your doctor telling you not to drive? The exercise is good for POTS in moderation. That's a lot to do before you even start your day. Hope you get some answers.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for taking time to reply. The doctors have advised me not to drive for the foreseeable future because of some of the dizziness I have is constant and my collapsing has increased to some degree recently. I think they fear for other road users should something occur, especially since they are not 100% familiar with POTs. I am yet to receive another appointment to see my cardiologist, so driving is off the cards until I can get the all clear from him.

My mobility has been difficult recently, I only attended two lectures this week and it has definitely taken its toll on me, the fatigue has been close to unbearable. Going into next week it's going to be daily lectures, on some days I'm leaving the house at 6/7am and won't return until 8/9pm. I'm mostly worried about the mobility issues, my walking is becoming a serious issue. I've suffered with joint pain my whole life and POTs seems to be making things more difficult on top of this. 

• Posted

Really try and drink a lot of water. I was told to drink my body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 100 pounds then drink 100 ounces per day. I also put salt on everything and this really helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.