Pounding heart causing sleepless nights..any help would be appreciated

Posted , 7 users are following.

For last four months I have been experiencing weird things with my heart..It started with my heart skipping beats here and there..I had an ECG, ECHO and blood test. There was nothing to be concerned as per the doctors. I was prescribed a propranolol beta blocker which did somewhat suppressed my ectopics..However a month back I started having very hard and forceful heartbeat which was most noticeable at night while I was trying to go to sleep. This thing did not bother me that much during daytime but is troubling me to go to sleep during night which makes me very weary the next day. I again went to the doctor and had one more ECG which was again normal. So doctor basically attributed it to anxiety and slightly low level of iron and he changed my beta blocker to metroprolol and gave me supplements plus some anti-stress herbal medicine. It has been two weeks since and while I have seen some improvement but still it is troublesome.Anybody else suffering from the same who can help me?

Just to add i suffer from severe chronic constipation but ever since i started having these heart issues i have also developed indigestion issues for which i take one pill daily at night..

I am 31 male btw.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Is one of your supplements magnesium?

• Posted

I used to take magnesium glycinate in the beginning but stopped as i did not find much difference.. supllement is basically a multi vitamin plus iron..

• Posted

Beta blocker is generally the med of choice for that kind of symptom, and if that doesn't work it's beyond me.

Magnesium is worth a shot, you might try it again now, one other thing to try is taurine, available at any supplements store, yes it's the stuff in Red Bull, but it's generally good for heart issues.

For arrhythmia generally, which might include pounding, nitric oxide foods might also help, arugula and butter lettuce are the two best but there are others, there are old prescription drugs (like nitroglycerin!?) but hardly used anymore. Can also look at arginine and citrulline, either go get some watermelon, or try as supplements (they say citrulline may be better absorbed, the body then turns it into arginine, which promotes the nitric oxide).

I've had some of that pounding issue, it correlates to blood pressure issues for me, but my tiny dose of atenolol beta blocker seems a pretty good fix for me. And dark chocolate also works, but is more fattening!

• Posted

I'm surprised that a doctor gave you a herbal medicine .

• Posted

well it is ashvangandha...pretty safe to be honest..

• Posted

Just wondering if it might not be an idea for your cardiologist to give you a holter (ecg) for several days. He/she will then be able to see the recording and will then be able to identify what's going on. You could ask?

• Posted

Hello, I am a 34 yr old female. I suffer from annoying ectopic beats that have never been caught on an EKG or even when I underwent an electrocardiogram. I used to have the issue where I would experience tachycardia when I laid down to go to sleep regularly. Years of trying to help my self I finally discovered that if I ate something right before going to bed, like a slice of bread or a glass of milk, I wouldn't have the issue. I've never been hypo-glycemic, however I think being too "hungry" before bedtime caused my heart rate to go up.

So on nights when I would lay down and get tachycardic, I would get back up, eat a slice or two of bread, and walk about the house for a bit to sort of reset my heart rate. This always worked for me. I found that if I just laid there with the tachycardia, and didn't get up to snack, my heart rate would just continue to beat hard and fast all night long. So annoying and scary.

Nowadays, I take Fluoxetine to help with the panic and anxiety I get from experiencing tachycardia and ectopic beats. I take my pill at nighttime too because it makes me drowsy and helps me fall asleep quicker, which I appreciate after all those nights of not sleeping at all with tachycardia. I also make sure that I don't accidently leave too much time between my dinner and my bed time, just in case the nighttime tachycardia comes back.

• Posted

Hi hem7404

Sorry you are having these health problems.

Reading your post I wonder if it is not the low iron that is giving you constipation, palpitations and indigestion. Have you also been prescribed iron supplements?

From experience I have had these symptoms with anemia many times.

Ana36

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.