PPalpitations on Prednisolone

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on Prednisolone for 4 weeks - now at 30mg daily.  I have had a lot of side effects but the most worrying is palpitations.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Although my dosage has come down the palpitations are as bad as ever.  Is there anything that you can advise to take like a natural remedy?  

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post about palpitations.  I have looked at this forum many times since being diagnosed with temporal arteritis and grateful to have learned so much - which otherwise I would never have known about.  I am now down to 20mg prednisolone daily for the past 2 weeks and go back to rheumatologist in 2 weeks time.  The palpitations have calmed down a bit and I take my dose 2x10mg morning and evening.  I wonder if anyone has had eye pains on prednisolone.  I have had very sharp fleeting pains in my eyes for the past week and wonder if that is another emerging side effect.  The side effects are awful - seem to do the rounds of every part of body. 
    • Posted

Have you had your eye pressures checked? If you are in the UK a visit to an optician is enough, don't know about the USA though. Has to be an eye doctor here in mainland Europe. Although that is normally painless, it is a side effect of pred and must be monitored. However - a good optician who does the full eye exam (i.e. not one who merely sells specs) can identify many problems and is easily accessible and really not expensive to be sure your eyes are OK. The staff at Specsavers and the like do have good reputations - the Vision Express one I saw definitely erred on the side of caution when she has a minor panic about the thickness of my retina, the hospital eye department here was quite relaxed about what she found.
    • Posted

I had eye pain with pred in my case it felt as if I had grit in my eyes. My GP did give me some medication for it. The side effects of pred are an absolute pain aren't they?
  • Posted

Thank you very much for responding to my query about eye pain.  I saw the ophthalmologist last Monday and he said eyes were ok.  Still get fleeting eye pains.  Saw my rheumatologist on Thursday and he has lowered the dose of predisnolone from 20mg to 17 and a half mg daily for a month.  Still having the palpitations though not as bad.  Yes, the side effects of prednisolone are a pain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.