PPH Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy Advice Needed. Do it or not to do it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everybody. I'm living with hemorrhoids from "always", I'm having grade 3 internal ones. Until 6 months ago I had not a lot of problems with them, sometimes occasional bleeding. From 6 months ago I'm having itching burning. Not very painful, pain level 1-2 of 10 but a constant one. I tried everything Preparation H, Anusol, Cortisone 2.5%, many more. Some of them working some of them not, but not a permanent solution. I had visits with a couple of surgeons all advised to me hemorrhoidectomy. Most of them want to perform conventional closed, one of them PPH Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy. I thought about THD but in my area, one institution is doing but it is not covered by my insurance. I'll have to pay $3,700 from my packet. I read many scientific articles about different methods as well as many message boards. According to all of them, PPH is less painful with a shorter time to normal activity. So questions, will you do it PPH Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy or any other one in a case like mine? On messages boards so many horrific stories. When I spoke with PPH I surgeon he gave me the "traditional" answer 7-14 days and I'll be OK. About horrific stories " most people having a positive experience and don't post on message boards". I don't know what to do? I would like to finish this inconvenience which I'm having but on another hand, I'm worried that I'm going to regret it and be in a worst situation than the current one. Any advice or opinion would be valuable to me.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul, my situation sounds similar to yours that i had hemorrhoids for many years that only bothered me occasionally until a couple of years ago. in early 2019, they started bleeding abd hurting every couple of months. up until that time i had never used any medications, creams or anything on them. i searched on amazon and bought some stuff thinking i would get rid of them. i ended up trying many remedies that offered short term relief but they always came back. They got really bad in late september of this year when i sought medical treatment for the first time. i was referred to a surgeon and by that time i was pretty desperate. she told me i needed a hemorrhoidectomy and a colonoscopy, which i figured she would say. i was in a lot of pain and decided to just have the procedures. i had the full closed hemorrhoidectomy a month ago. its not an easy surgery but i was not in excrutiating pain ever. i decided being constipated would be the worst thing so i never took any opioid pills but took advil, that kept me from becoming backed up and allowed me to drive early on. my advice to you would be:

1. have the surgery because these will probably just get worse

2. try to go without the opioids and try the advil/tylenol to see if it works

3. take stool softeners and fiber supplements from the beginning.

4. take the sitz baths 3 times a day

5. get up and move even if it hurts; it will help a lot

6. the first week of bm will hurt a lot but not as much as hemorrhoids that start hurting and wont stop

7. make sure youre cleaned out before having the surgery so you wont have to have a bm for a couple of days

Im a month out and getting better but still am dealing with discomfort. Its a miserable experience but so are hemorrhoids that hurt and bleed. I wish you the best!

• Posted

Thank you for answering but my situation is a different one. You were in a lot of pain, I have very light discomfort level 1-2 of 10? But almost a constant one. I'm very rarely using OTC creams. With Anusol I don't have discomfort at all. Till September 2020 I never had any pain before only occasional bleeding. Now bleeding happening more often during BM but not always. I hoped pain will disappear over Will you risk painful procedures and possible complications and no pain down the road?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.