PPI and osteo arthritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've really painful hands with lumps in my fingers since I was 32. I haven't been diagnosed but I think I have osteo arthritis like my mother. She has had operations to her hip , knees and toes. She lives with pain every day. Now recently I had gallbladder surgery two months after had a baby, but the pains got worse. I am taking lanzoprazole for heartburn  for a month and my hip and my knee start aching. Does anyone know if taking this kind of PPI can make this condition worse? I am only 39 and worried about all that has been happening with my body.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hI Leni.  Firstly, it's important to get it correctly diagnosed as different conditions react differently to various treatments.  Painful swellings on the hands can also be due to a form of gout and this can be kept under control by different meds.  I was taking omeprazole, similar meds to yours for acid cause by NSAIDs for pain, I dont recall it causing aching joints though.  The aching may be inflammation related to your hand pain, so it's definitely worth discussing it with your doctor as there may be a simple way of reducing your inflammation and also your pain.  I have OA in my thumb joints following years of tenosynivitis and it's killer at times but I only have slight swelling of the joint when it's very inflamed, which is why I believe you really should get it properly diagnosed as it may not be OA.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi

I think the first thing you need is a correct diagnosis then you will know what you are dealing with.

I've been taking omneprozol or lansoprozol.....it changes occasionally for about 5 years now. Its prevention because I take Naproxen.

I've never heard of it causing pains

Different meds can affect different people in different ways.

Are you in the UK....Go to your GP, get a referral to the hospital and a correct diagnosis.....

Hope you find out something definite

Love

Eileen  UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.