Ppi and trigger food

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

maybe this will sound stupid, but I would like to ask you if you can eat everything when you are taking ppi or not.

I still have to figure out what food causes me heartburn, but I know that tomatoes, chocolate... are for sure. But I thouhgt that I will be able to eat tomatoes  if I’m on ppi, but I get the same reaction with or without ppi.

So, I just wonder on what purpose do we take ppis anyway. Is this just to calm down the heartburn a bit or are there people who can eat “forbidden” food if taking ppis.

Thank you.

All best,

Aya

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The purpose of the ppi is to supress the secretion of gastric acid which can help the mocosa of your stomach or esophagus to repair by themself at lower acid leve. 

I do know that the extremely spicy food can triger my symptoms, i can eat moderate spicy food when i'm symptoms free. 

I have been on Pantoprazole recently because my symptoms coming back about one week ago, reason? Spicy food. I think that it's better for you to aviod some provocative food whether you are on ppi or not. you have to have very strong self-restraint on what you eat. This is very important for gastroesophageal problem patient

• Posted

You need to take care with what you eat even when taking PPI medication it suppresses the acid and heals the insides but if you still eat trigger foods it won't work very well I don't eat spices fatty foods chocolate or fizzy drinks or eat hot food only you'd that as cooled  down and no alcohol 

• Posted

The use of PPI is to suppress acid in your stomach not to go up to your esophagos then cure your stomach ulcers but it is not good for long time use it develop side effects start from your liver to your kidneys and hip fracture also in lungs so better stop it just be careful what you eat specially oily foods don't eat to much just practice small meal .. I stop PPI a week ago for I felt some pain below my ribcage and shift to apple cider vinegar and also taking ginger tea and it feels me better try also realligning your stomach if you have hiatal hernia .. Try to consider those option rather than relying on ppi 's

• Posted

As for me, then yes, i can eat anything when i'm on PPI, but you can't take them too long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.