PPI causing anxiety and agitation?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have recently stated taking a PPI Omeprazole and think it is really causing me increased agitation and anxiety - I think I will have to change brands or try something else. Has anyone else experienced this?

S

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

No. You have an ulcer and h pylori would cause increase aggitation. Also ppis will inhibit many vitamins frim absorbing request b12 shots from you doctor while on them.
  • Posted

PPIs generally dont give anxiety symptoms, if your anxious to begin with or have other physical issues - the reason your on them in the first place - its probably more to do with them than the PPI;s themselves
  • Posted

Absolutely not. I've been on various PPIs over the years and all they do is calm my acid reflux. They have nothing to do with agitation and anxiety.
    • Posted

Me too , i have been on Omeprazole for years and never experience a problem .
  • Posted

I would disagree with the others here. I took a PPI (Rabeprazole) for suspected gastritis and severe acid reflux. I managed about 7 days and my anxiety was through the roof. Then the headaches started and then the blurred vision, at which point my gastrologist decided to take me off it and instead try a H2 blocker (ranitidine). Headaches and blurred vision disappeared over a few days. anxiety (panic attacks) stopped exactly 3 days after the switch. I had previously had gastritis symptoms for over 2 months before seeking treatment. I had zero panic attacks until i was on Rabeprazole for about 2 days. I had completed my anxiety therapy 3 years prior to this and have been anxiety symptoms free for 8 years, after 12 years of treatment...Since being off PPI i have had no panic attacks. Coincidence?
    • Posted

No - but I am surprised that a PPI could do that - however, we are all different. I also take ranitidine as well as high doses of PPI and am waiting for surgery so that I won't have to take them any more.
    • Posted

I really hope surgery helps. You have a hiatal hernia? Yes the doctor also insisted it can't be from the PPI but once i progressed to headaches and blurred vision he chose to make the switch anyway just in case. My psychiatrist was also not convinced until, after lengthy evaluation of my psychological state he concluded that something about the drug is causing me grief as i am otherwise clinically sound. However, I am thinking, why is it generally considered such a long shot? Perhaps some sensitive individuals - those prone to anxiety - simply react to chemical changes inside the body more intensely. And a PPI certainly changes gut chemistry quite a bit. I had almost the exact same reaction to Flagyl antibiotic about a year earlier. I am normally totally fine on any antibiotic and never think twice when i have to take one. On Flagyl i felt like death. Further, when i had some tongue surgery couple of years back i was given an anesthetic spray, about three squirts, to remove some embedded stitches. A tiny amount trickled into my throat. I thought nothing of it until i came out about 15 minutes later and colours were brighter, i felt elated and i wanted to hug every person i saw smile After about 2 hours when i regrouped i wanted to kill everyone i saw smile The doctor was not convinced and said it is relief after the ordeal.... As neither was my dentist. So the dentist chose top test me without saying. On the days he used adrenalin shots i had immediate "panic attacks" that lasted for about 10 minutes. Then without telling me he tried a non-adrenaline injection and ... no shivers no panic no problem - I was happy and friendly and even fell asleep during a longer procedure. So, he concluded, "you are not getting panic attacks - you are sensitive to adrenalin. And Novo/Lidocaines make you chilled and happy. Cool!" smile I am certainly no expert but apparently medicine is not an exact science either smile
  • Posted

I was given Omeprazole a couple weeks prior to my gallbladder surgery. One dose sent my anxiety soaring through the roof, so I didn't take anymore. Once the pill was fully out of my system, so was the heightened anxiety. When I told the doctor what happened, I was told that anxiety isn't a common side effect of that medication, and most people take it without problems. Personally, I think everyone reacts differently to medications, and that shouldn't be dismissed by the doctors. Not everyone is a textbook case.
    • Posted

I agree. As a nurse, I've never heard of anyone having this kind of reaction to a PPI, but nothing is impossible!.
  • Posted

My husband was prescribed PPI and followed a treatment for over 8 months without having an gastroscopy prior to the treatment to determine the need for PPIs. During this time his anxiety and in particular his heath anxiety levels increased a lot. He also developed depression. Because of the very bad stomach pain he thought the treatment is not working and on doctor's advice he changed from omeprazole to lansoprasole and back to omeprazole. This was a very bad idea as both have withdrawal effects. In the end he had an gastroscopy  which showed his stomach was 100% perfect despite the very bad pain which kept him awake at night. He's been diagnosticated with heath anxiety and depression. Only after reading myself about anxiety I found out that the symptoms are the same with gastritis. Personally I would be very aware of the side effects of taking PPI and also I would make sure there isn't something else causing similar symptoms like stress, anxiety. I've read a lot lately about the relationship between inflammation and anxiety and depression. 

• Posted

My husband was prescribed PPI and followed a treatment for over 8 months without having an gastroscopy prior to the treatment to determine the need for PPIs. During this time his anxiety and in particular his heath anxiety levels increased a lot. He also developed depression. Because of the very bad stomach pain he thought the treatment is not working and on doctor's advice he changed from omeprazole to lansoprasole and back to omeprazole. This was a very bad idea as both have withdrawal effects. In the end he had an gastroscopy  which showed his stomach was 100% perfect despite the very bad pain which kept him awake at night. He's been diagnosticated with heath anxiety and depression. Only after reading myself about anxiety I found out that the symptoms are the same with gastritis. Personally I would be very aware of the side effects of taking PPI and also I would make sure there isn't something else causing similar symptoms like stress, anxiety. I've read a lot lately about the relationship between inflammation and anxiety and depression. 

• Posted

I couldn't agree more calm! I'v just discovered that PPI's have been causing a spike in my lifelong anxiety problem! I stopped 3,4 weeks ago, and 2 weeks ago anxiety started to improve! Funny how a humble 67 year old has to find that out on Google! That's why GP's freak when I say Google said?????

• Posted

Hello Stephen, funny enough i'v just finished an on line chat, conversation with an Indian doctor, regarding acid reflux and it's side effects, and he said quote get off PPI's now they will kill you and seriously increase anxiety!!!!! 3 years i'v been taking PPI's and my anxiety has been off the scale! 3,4 weeks ago I ditched them, and 2 weeks ago my anxiety came down to within my so called normal region. And now I know why. Bloody PPI's

• Posted

Interesting...I have been on and off omeprazole for YEARSSS now. I am pretty sure I had "anxiety" before the omeprazole or at least the chest pain and that is one of the reasons they gave me the omeprazole in the first place. I still have the same symptoms so I guess it hasn't made it better but as far as making my anxiety worse, that is like the chicken and the egg for me. I guess I would suggest you ask to be switched to something else and see if it makes a difference. It could always be that you are having anxiety because of your GERD or whatever you were given the PPI for in the first place. Anyway, best of luck to you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.