PPI medication, scared to start it.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me any of their advice on PPIs please. I have suffered with acid reflux for years and I have just been prescribed omeprazole by my doctor. This will sound silly but I have a really strong phobia of vomiting that sometimes stops me doing everyday things sometimes. I know nearly every medication you read says there may be a side effect of vomiting, but I was wondering if anyone else had taken these and what/ if any side effects they experienced please? 

Thank you. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Took it for years, never had any vomiting or upset tummy, nothing like that. Only thing I think it caused was a bit of hair loss at my temples! But nothing major.
  • Posted

I have been taking various PPI's since 2001 (far too long I know but what else is there?? ) and cannot say that I have experienced any noticeable side effects from them.

Nausea or vomiting must be very rare as it is listed as incidence not known.

• Posted

Hi mechelle I've been taking PPI medication for about five years and never had a feeling of sickness it must be a very rare occurrence for that to happen if I was you I would try them I'm sure you will be fine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.