PPI Rebound. Advice needed!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, my doctor told me to stop PPIs as he thinks they may not be necessary for me. I've been on them for 1 year. 

I stopped 5 weeks ago after tapering down slowly and the first week was ok. A lot of burning in my stomach but not my esophagus. The last couple of weeks has been worse with constant burning in my stomach and heartburn that just won't seem to die down. I heard this can last up to 3 months.

I'm managing this with antacids such as Gaviscon at the moment but the burn is always there. I heard that H2 blockers help but studies say they also induce rebound when stopped so am wary of taking them. 

Could anyone who has been through PPI rebound please let me know:

1) What symptoms you had

2) How you managed symptoms

3) How long symptoms lasted for

4) Did you make a full recovery and no longer need PPIs?

Many thanks! 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

If it were normal rebound, you would have been affected immediately and unlikely to be that 5 weeks later.

It is caused because for a while, your stomach was struggling to produce acid but was being blocked. When the blocks are removed, it's like opening the dam gates.

If you're getting acid reflux now, perhaps you did need to keep taking the PPI.

What dose and which PPI were you on? If it was jus maintenance 20mg omeprazole (or equivalent), rebound, if it occurs, should be minimal and shorter lasting.

Why were you taking PPIs originally for a year? I'm assuming you were prescribed them for acid reflux but it's usual to only prescribe them for a few weeks initially and only extend if necessary. Why did your doctor decide you didn't need them?

Have you had an endoscopy to see what's going on?

H2 blockers are unlikely to cause rebound. They don't prevent the stomach making the acid producing cells as required but stop some of the messages getting through to produce them.

If you are experiencing acid reflux that needs more than the occasional Gaviscon, try ranitidine. Over the counter strength is 75mg. Try one of these a day for a week and see if it helps. And see what happens when you come off them.

But if you're still getting acid reflux, you do need to see your doctor again.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I've made an appointment to see my doctor. 
  • Posted

I'm so sorry! I heard a few months of hell is how long it takes. How slow did u taper? I tapered for at least a couple months and decreased the dosage by dumping the medicine out of the capsule little by little. I take a h2 blocker now because symptoms were starting but it's so much better. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Did you have a confirm acid reflux (endoscopy)? How long did you take it?  It is rrue that the acid rebound its like "hell"? Please respond. Im off the medication today and really scared of the acid rebound. When did the acid rebound hit you? After 4 or 3 days after stopping?

thnaks in advance

• Posted

Yes, endoscopy confirmed acid reflux. I have gastroparesis which leaves me with tons of acid. I didn't experience the rebound but I heard of peoples stories. I, like you, tapered slowly. I do still get symptoms everday but nothing like before. I deal with silent reflux too. So burning and phlegm are my biggest complaints. Hang tight. Chew gum all the time. Helps me lots! I hope to be able to stay off ppis but with gastroparesis I might be the candidate who needs them. Best of luck
    • Posted

One more thing, I do take an h2 blocker. U might want to consider that while you are trying to stay off ppis. I "think" rebound is less common with them.
    • Posted

Hi Karen, thanks. Your way of tappering sounds far more sensible than mine. I just reduced the dosage by half for two weeks then stopped. It's amazing to me that there's loads of information on how to take PPIs, their side effects etc. etc. but no formal information on how to stop them! 
    • Posted

I know! It's totally crazy. I read a story about a lady who had an amazing strategy of emptying her capsules little by little. I wish u tons of pain free days ahead. Ppis are definitely needed in cases but here in the states they are the most over prescribed medicine. You know us fat Americans! We need our heart burn meds. Good luck to you and research lots about alternative management.
  • Posted

Did you use it for acid reflux? It was confirm by an endoscopy? What i heard its that at the beginning its ol and after 5 or 6 days the acid rebound starts. It can take up to 3 monts but the first two weeks are the worst.

if you dont have acid reflux it goes away sooner and the symtomps are less strong. I have acid reflux and today its my first day without omperazole. I took it for 2 months and tapper down from 20mg to 16mg, 12mg, 8mg and 4mg. I hope i can stop this drug. Dont take it again! People think they may need it and go back. Dont do it. 

• Posted

Thank you for your answer. I will try to stay away of the h2 but I'm not sure if that will be possible. I hope I dont feel acid rebound. I'm really scared. I used omeprazole 20mg for 2 months every day. Some people feel rebound after only 14 days so I dont know what to expect.

I will try my best.

• Posted

Have hope! I was on it for about 2 months as well. Same dosage as you. So far mild no rebound and it's been a month. I did just start the h2 last week because of the mild symptoms.
    • Posted

Thank you for your words. I really hope its not that bad. I feel a feel my stomach weird now. What scared me the most its the burning..im to scared sorry. I have to be strong!
    • Posted

I hope your disconfort goes away soon!
    • Posted

You too. You will be in my prayers. I'm scared too. I never want to feel the burning hell again! Reflux is horrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.