PPI's?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone read up on the dangers of using PPI's long term? I am always getting emails and I see it on Facebook. My husband doesn't want me taking them and wants me to use a more "natural" approach. Has anyone ever been on Dexilant? My doctor has called that it. Wondering if I should get it?

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Thank you

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i know this topic has been on the news lately. most ppi's state on their commercials to stop taking them after 14 days. you should look google your medication name to learn more about it. my doctor wanted me on them for life. he also brought up gaviscon liquid as an alternative to the pills. either way make sure your on a low acid diet, raise your head board, wait 2-3 hours before lying down after eating....
  • Posted

One in particular was in the news recently. I won't mention its name as the moderators will lock me out. Apparently it increases dementia by 44% and increases the risk of hip fracture. I used it for 2 months before getting off it. Then immediately developed 3 bulging disk issues in my back, co-incidence, possibly but I have my doubts.Its never a good idea to take any drugs for a long period of time, despite what the doctors and drug companies tell you. They only care about profits and if something bad happens to you 10 years down the track they don't really care and its hard for you to prove its the drug you took 10 years before.

I wasn't getting that much relief from the PPI's. Had more benift from taking a good Probiotic, dropping a few Kg's, and eating smaller, healthier meals, and avoiding stress. I'm also hearing reports that reducing acid in the stomach may not be smart thing as we need it for proper digestion and other reasons.

Our problems seem to stem from the acid making its way up our throats rather than too much in our stomachs I suspect.

• Posted

I dont like to take long term medication. I havent heard about Dexilant and is it antacid as well but inform of herb. I am worrying about taking too much med can damage kidney especially at old age like me. So alternately we can ask for operation but there is involve risk. Operation is the last resource for it is leading to many things we dont know. I regret that i damage my oesophagus by eating too much and drinking beer. Carry heavy things when my stomach is full which I must for I am working. Hard experience. Life is hard for me always. I just pray to God. If you think Dexilant is helpfull please share. Hope you get well soon.
    • Posted

Thank you. My husband doesn't want me taking any of it. I have been trying not to overeat at meals. I just can't eat a bland diet. The doctor said all was clear and she didn't see anything but yet I'm in pain. I just don't know what to do. I have the same symptoms as most, pain/burning in top of stomach, nausea, stopped up nose, post nasal drip, it's terrible with not a lot of relieve.
    • Posted

I think you better go for a second opinion. Do not stay with one doctor.
  • Posted

I haven't heard of that pamela but I will look it up. I have taken omeprozole for over 10 yrs with no known side effects but actually was still suffering symptoms which then has led to barrats oesophagus. My medication was changed and I now seem to b experiencing things like swelling, itchiness, dizzy spells etc which I'm not sure are relayed. I can't be without medication and will be on some sort for life but yes more info should be available as to the risks.. I am only 30 so a long time ahead of taking these medications!
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear about your case. You are too young to suffer those things. Like me I take omeprozole but still suffers heartburnt. it is scary when I think about your case and mine. May I ask if you stop drinking alcohol, coffee, spicy food, ascobic acid drink and eat light meal at dinner.. My habit is sometime I am still over eating. I found that if I leave it to my stomach empty and eat half of my tummy then at night I dont have to wake up with bouts of reflux. All the best weeclaire.
    • Posted

Thank you.. yeah problem being with my age there was no urgency I was told for years and years I was at no risk because I was young and healthy..... as was obviously nit the case! I do drink alcohol on social occasions etc.. but most of the time I end up it makes me sick and yes if I over eat my symptoms are terrible so I tend to have lighter meals and snacks throughout the day .. not sure if other symptoms are related to ppi it was just a guess. But as with any medications the benifits usually do out weight tge risks and side effects ..well in my opinion anyway .. hope find what helps smile
  • Posted

Dangers of PPIs long term are vastly exaggerated by the sensationalist popular press. If you want to know the truth, you should read the research papers they misquote.

PPIs have been used by millions of people worldwide for 30 years. They are amongst the safest drugs available.

They are blamed for osteoporosis, anaemia, hypermagnesaemia and C-diificile - but those come from misuse or overuse. Their role is to reduce stomach acid, if reduced too much, hypochlorhydria is induced that can exacerbate the conditions mentioned. These are powerful drugs and their use should be monitored by a doctor. Research has shown these problems are mainly found with self-medicators.

Then there have been other "risks" reported of heart disease, kidney disease and demnetia. However, wehn you look at the studies they do not attribute PPIs as being the cause. The studies looked at patients who have these problems and found the percentage of them taking PPIs was higher than the general poulation -very possibly because of a co-morbidity. As one eminent professor put it recently, "it is more to do with the caharcteristics of the patients rather than the drugs".

"Natural" medicines are usually anything but and they have not had the extensive testing of prescription drugs.

An increasing number of research papers recently have been concluding that PPIS probably have a chemo-protective effect to reduce the possibility of development of oesophageal cancer.

Dexilane is a PPI. Although one of the newest and most expensive, research has shown that all PPIs are as effective as each other when taken in equivalent dose.

If you visit the www BarrettsWessex org uk website and find drugs page from the Treatments drop-down, you'll find at the bottom of the page, equivalents tables and costs for UK and US.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.