PPI's stopped working?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi...I'm a 38 year old Male who has been suffering with reflux for 10 years. I've had all the normal tests all be it 10 years ago and was told the reflux wasnt that bad and they put me on omoprezole. It worked a treat and was heartburn free for 8 years except if i had a heavy night out or missed a dose.

However for the last 2 years ive been suffering with a sore throat on the left side which last for weeks, then subsides and then comes back. The doctor prescribed me with Lansoprezole, which again kept my heartburn at bay but didnt help with my throat. I then decided to pay close attention to my diet, cutting out all trigger foods and bought my self a reflux pillow as the doctor mentioned something about silent reflux. However just recently I started to get a slight burning sensation in my chest which radiated up to my throat, which felt like my throat was closing. The doctor perscribed omoprezole 40mg which i took for 5 days and the heartburn got worse, it didnt help at all. He has now prescribed Esomoprezole 20mg (Nexium) and yesterday was my first day and although i had some relux in the morning it cleared throughout the day, but 14 hours later i could feel that acidic feeling in my throat and chest. I woke this morning again with the same symptoms but also with referred pain in the shoulder. Have PPI's stopped working for me or is it that when you transition from one to another it takes time to work. This disease is taking over my life, i'm scared it could be something worse and even more worried because i have very young children, i here so many scare stories. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi danny

I have the same symptoms as you with the same worries... i am now starting a new approach as advised by someone who was also in the same boat.... wheatgrass and backing soda and water ... not together obviously but wheatgrass has so many benifits and i am told helped her and has been stomach pain free and acid free for 14 months.... worth a shot.... worry and stress is a huge factor im all this ill assume you have a slightly stressfull life and now health worry maybe heath anxiety like me worry about the worst and what if bla bla..... give it ago mate....

• Posted

Yes slighly stressful. I manage a play setting which is full on at times. I also have 4 children, so i'm on the go constantly. So how does your friend consume the wheatgrass and baking soda?

• Posted

I found that certain ppi's stopped working for me after a certain amount of time and then yes, it took a few weeks for the next med to work. My doc always tells me to give it a month before saying if it works or not. After 10 yrs though, maybe you are having related problems that need investigating. Has your doctor suggested an endoscopy? It's pointless going around in circles with meds if it's something different. Good luck. I am the same age and too, suffering 10 yrs!

• Posted

Its a nightmare...I cant believe how long i went without any heartburn, only to find out that my throat was being affected by silent reflux. My throat actually feels ok at the moment but when the heartburn returns, it feel like i cant breath properly. The doctor said that the next step is an endoscopy, i've had a few throat examinations which all came back clear, which is one positive i guess. I'm praying that this Nexium works, is it supposeed to give 24hr relief?

• Posted

I found nexium good, but it didn't give me 24 hr relief, although i took gaviscon advance alongside it and that helped. Do you take anything like gaviscon to help? I too have stress and that is a bigger trigger than food for me. I actually had severe stomach ulceration and gastritis at one point.

• Posted

Try milk Kefir probiotic, buy it or make it yourself all info online.
  • Posted

I agree with jokow22 that an endoscopy sounds the right move.

Sadly, one has to accept that GERD/LPR are often progressive diseases and do either offer up new symptoms or get worse over time. My progression is very similar to yours. When I had an endoscopy it was found that I had developed quite a serious hiatus hernia, which made sense of my additional recent onset symptoms. I do not know if and when you had an endoscopy previously, but with a ten year history of your symptoms I am sure it would be wise to have a check up by endoscopy. That would clarify how things are generally in your oesophagus, stomach and duodenum. Hope that is helpful. I know it is horrid to think about these things, but sometimes it is better to know, and can often be reassuring. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Danny, my cousin had referred pain in his shoulder and he was diagnosed with Barrett's aosophagus . He also had a hernia and that was moving into his diaphragm and touching his heart. He had a repair operation and part of his stomach had to be wrapped around the eosophagus due to damage.. You need to be referred as you haven't had an endoscopy in a while . Hope you get much better soon

• Posted

My gp said if the meds don't help the only real alternative is the fundo op or you could consider Linx device which I'm seriously considering. It's not an easy decision to make but the drugs ain't good for us.

Let us all know how you get on. Make sure if you decide to have the op u research ur doc.

All the best.

Dom

• Posted

So sorry Danny you are going through this. It's the last thing you need with 4 kids too. Keep us all posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.