PPI seems to be working differently

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am a regular poster and have been on esomeprazole for over 10 years now, varying from 20mg to 80mg dependent on needs etc.  I have noticed recently that I have been having lots of stomach pains, GP advised me to up my dose from 20mg to 40mg but I have noticed that this makes my stomach burn and gives me a dry sore feeling in chest sort of like having a chesty cough, this goes off once I go back to 20mg, can you become less tolerant of a PPI or can it take too much acid from your body and leave you with low acid.  The reason for asking mainly is that when I get the pain from taking 40mg, if I take a digestive enzyme with betaine and basically put acid back in the burning goes although I cannot use the betaine for long as again it makes the burning worse.  Sounds a bit confusing I know but I am not sure whether the PPI's have stopped working.    

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can only tell you my own experience, the gastro consultant I see told me that the longer you take something the less effective it becomes, he has always advised me to only take PPI when I am in a flare up and once it settles to stop and just control things with  something like gaviscon. perhaps you need a change to something else like Lansoprazole. I know that PPI's can alter the balance of things in your gut.

Good luck

L x

• Posted

HI, thanks for reply, my GP said I need to take PPI everyday to make it work, we are all told something different which is a pain. To be honest I do have some days when I don't take them but I need more the next day so should I be taking daily?  I will speak to GP and see if there is something different I can try, as I am typing there is a burning sensation above belly button and in the centre epigrastic area.  No one seems to know what is causing it, various scans, tests etc have all come back clear, so I am now convinced it is the medication causing irritation. I take a blood thinner and these so will have do so more research.  Take care

• Posted

Hi,

As you say maybe just a change to something Like Lansoprazole will do the trick I have heard it is far superior to omeprazole. like you I am on a blood thinner for PAF, I have also experienced the burning sensation that you describe and was given Buscopan by my GP which I must say helped enormously.

Good luck

L xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.