ppi side effects?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had been taking omeprozole and ranitidine for over 10 yrs but After being diagnosed with barretts in October I was started on esomeprazol. Over last few months I have been having swelling in my calf's and itchiness.. which is something I have never experienced before!!! wondering if anyone else has had such side effects or if this could be related to change in medication? I am 30 yrs old and have a very active job, no other factors that I can think could be causing this have made appt with gp

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Why don't you switch back to omeptazole?

A small number of people do expereince side effects such as you mention from some of the PPIs but research shows they are all as effective as each other when taken in equivalent dose. Despite Astra-Zeneca's claims, the only studies to show esomeprazole is better are those funded by Astra-Zeneca wherein comparisons were actually between double dose esomeprazole vs standard doses of other PPIs. (Links are provided to the studies on the Barrett's Wessex website on the Treatment-drugs page.)

• Posted

Hi.. the omeprozole didn't seem to be reducing the acid reflux and I was still having a lot of symptoms, this is why I fought to have scopes done and they then found the barrats present.. hadn't heard much about those kinds of side effects so was unsure if related.. thanks for your response I will have more of a read up on it smile
    • Posted

I had a similar problem Claire where the omeprozole was making no difference to the reflux / heartburn and I was having disturbed nights and light headed feelings. The doctor I saw took me off those and prescribed pantoprazole which is another PPI. He said to me that I am likely to get less side effects and they would be more effective. 

I have to say he was right on both counts and I am pleased I changed from omeprazole to pantoprazole. Hope you find the right medication that suits you.

• Posted

Thank you.. I had taken the omeprozole for years and never any of these complains but it didn't solve the acid/stomach pains.. I have been having dizzy spells etc. I will mention to gp and see what they say.. thanks glad you found the right medication to suit
  • Posted

Hairloss is definitely another side effect of PPI's. I am a 34 year old male and have been on Ompeprozole for about a year. I started to notice significant hairloss, which is really depressing because baldness does not run in my family. Diagnosed with Barretts I was prescribed 40mg 2x a day, which I'm definitely considering going off of all together. I might try and manage mine with a strict diet, with my fingers crossed that my hair grows back.
    • Posted

Really? I have taken omeprozole for over 10 yrs with no side effects. .just shows everyone reacts different. Spk to your gp or consultant as there are diff ppis you could maybe try. . That is my plan
    • Posted

I would recommend asking to try a different PPI. Side effects of the drug are rare but hair loss may be one of those experienced by some patients on one or other of the avialable ones.

Do I read it correctly that you are actually taking 80mg (2x40) omeprazole daily? That is a very high dose and needs to be reduced if possible. But there may be a very good reason why you were put on so high a dose.

The normal, maintenance dose is 20mg and the high dose many require is 40mg. I was on 80mg for a few years prior to having reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication) which rendered me med free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.