PPIs not helping Acid Reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been taking 20 mg of Omeprazole for a couple of months now after being diagnosed with acid reflux. The condition came on quite suddenly & coincided with me being prescribed a nasal spray for chronic rhinitis, although my GP didn't think there was a link. Apart from the odd days of relief the reflux persists on a daily basis. The burning pain is quite high in my chest & seems to spread into my throat & back of my mouth making them uncomfortable. My mouth is also quite dry & I don't appear to making much saliva. I generally don't have a problem during the night. I've done some research & understand that 1 in 5 people do not respond to PPIs; I also understand that acid reflux can actually be caused by having too little acid in your stomach which, in turn, weakens the muscle between the stomach & the oesophagus. I plan to revisit my GP to discuss the dosage of my medication & any necessary tests but would appreciate any further views/advice.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi: You have a choice to make. You can go the route of doctors and more medications or you can try a more natural route and see if it works. When you take an acid blocking drug, it just stops the stomach from making acid but does not address the issue of stomach contents sloshing up the esophagus and possibly being inhaled while sleeping. That situation is very dangerous. Also, acid blockers will eventually stop working and you will be back with even more issues.

Nasal congestion medications can be based on steroids. Steroids can cause systemic issues.

The natural route for the reflux issue would be to add nutrition to your diet to support your body's ability to heal. The best method is to juice dark green organic vegetables as well as others such as carrots and celery. Do some research on juicers and find one that works for you. Then make a trip to a good grocery store every 2 or 3 days and buy fresh vegetables. Every day make a quart of juice and then drink a pint every 3 hours. Also, include a quality organic probiotic yogurt. It will help rebalance your digestive system. So with an empty stomach, add 2 table spoons of yogurt to your pint of juice. Do this with every pint. You may also want to change your nasal medication to a different type, just in case it is the culprit. The dollar tree store has a pretty good nasal medication with few side effects, I am also looking into nasal sinuplasty as an option to get off of nasal sprays.

Try to avoid foods that are difficult to digest, like beef, fried foods, fast foods like french fries, pizza etc. You can also add a good enzyme capsule with each large meal.

Then to help with the physical issues of a weak esophageal sphincter you should first elevate the head of your bed by 6 or 8 inches using old books or wood. Also, sleep on your left side as much as possible since the stomach contents spill out easier when on the left side.

Then you can also to my carbonated water treatment to strengthen your esophageal sphincter. It is how I cured my reflux issue.

Buy 5 large bottles of sodium free sugar free carbonated water. Flavored is okay. Now 4 times a day drink 8 oz of CW and then hold down the burp for 5 minutes. It may be difficult at first but will get easier. Each week add 1 oz of CW and 5 minutes to each session. At 5 weeks you should be up to 12oz of CW and 20 minute sessions. After a few months you should be able to cut down to one session per week for maintenance. You will likely get a number of responses with different methods of dealing with acid reflux. It's up to you which one to choose. Mine may not fit into your budget or lifestyle. Let me know if you have any questions. John

• Posted

Thanks for your helpful & comprehensive reply. I do take probiotic capsules & natural yoghurt as I've also suffered with IBS in the past. I also try to avoid processed foods & red meat. However, the other practical suggestions are definitely worth considering. I'd much prefer natural remedies rather than pursue medication which isn't necessarily helpful.

• Posted

Your welcome. I hope this benefits you as much as it did me. Also, I saw a typo above. It should read:

Also, sleep on your left side as much as possible since the stomach contents spill out easier when on the right side.

• Posted

I have been taking PPI tablets on and off for about 15 years, there is no evidence to suggest they will eventually stop working, some people have to take them for life. PPIs help protect against stomach cancer and ulcers and of all the medications I have been prescribed, they have the least side effects.

But if the ppi isn't working at all and your symptoms only came on after you took the nasal spray, it may not be reflux you are suffering with. You could have an allergy to your nasal spray. Is it helping your problem with the rhinitis? Have you tried other medications? If it is bearable, stop taking the spray and see if your burning pain goes away. Are you taking antihistamines and decongestants as well?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm no longer taking the nasal spray as my Rhinitis has cleared up but I'm still suffering with heartburn. When my GP diagnosed the Rhinitis he said the blood vessels in my nose were red & swollen so I did wonder if I had an infection. Prior to this I'd had a persistent cough & catarrh following an unpleasant cold. I'm not taking antihistamines or decongestants.

• Posted

are you taking any other medication? Have you had an endoscopy?

• Posted

I take 10 mg Citalopram for menopausal symptoms. I had an endoscopy about 7 years ago as I had similar symptoms, it was clear. I haven't had one during this recent episode.

• Posted

ssris and the menopause can bring on indigestion and heartburn. When you next see your doctor ask if you can try esomeprazole, it seems to work better for most people than other ppis.

Also try chewing sugar free gum, it will help with the dry mouth and can help reduce acid.

• Posted

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering. You're right that not everyone responds to a PPI. After trying a different PPI (Esomoperazole has been mentioned here and is considered the most effective of the group), you could try an H2 blocker like Ranitidine. These are usually less effective than a PPI, but can sometimes work for people who are unresponsive to a PPI.

I've done a lot of research on acid reflux, and read a lot of papers on it. With regards to acid reflux being caused by having too little acid in the stomach, I think this is a theory that isn't well tested or supported by clinical trials (e.g. where patients are given acid supplements). But I'd be interested to read anything to the contrary.

I would suggest asking for a gastroscopy to be conducted. This will check if there is any inflammation in your oesophagus as a result of acid reflux, as well as checking for other possible causes of your symptoms.

• Posted

Hello,

Agree with the advice below. You need an overhaul of lifestyle- what you eat, when you eat, exercise, sleep and most importantly stress. Try finding a yoga coach if possible for a month if there is no one else to guide.

Thanks

Z

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I feel I have quite a healthy life style - regular exercise, never smoked, light drinker, never been overweight, rarely eat red meat or processed food, plenty of fruit & veg. However, I do find that my body does not tolerate stress well in that it always affects my digestive system. As a child I had constipation, in my early 20s dyspepsia, from my late 20s, for many years, IBS & now GERD. I often wonder if I have an auto immune issue or even a lack of a particular hormone. Yoga could be a good therapy.

• Posted

Recently had an endoscopy which showed normal oesophagus with some spasm & tiny nodule just above the the gastro oesophageal junction & antral gastritis. The overall diagnosis was Hyperemic Gastritis. Consultant is considering Barium Swallow to assess for oesophageal spasm. PPIs & Ranitidine still not giving a lot of relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.