PR on face only?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I've had PR once before with strange presentations (on entire body AND soles of feet with oral lesions) and I'm experiencing a bizarre rash on my face that I have been trying to get to the bottom to for the last 4 weeks now. It started with a small, itchy, flaky patch on one cheek around the same time I had a head cold and now it has grown into a giant red, flaky lesion and rash is spreading from that one spot. Very similar in appearance to a herald patch with other tiny spots popping on my face that itch and flake. At first you would think they're pimples until they start to itch and flake. This has been a really fun 4 weeks. Primary doc brushed this off as a case of HIVES a week ago, but things weren't looking as bad as they are now. eek 

What's really strange is these are only on my face. That's it. Has anyone ever heard of PR presenting this way?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

WOW!!!! I had PR for 14 (miserable) months, yes, I had a biopsy to diagnose it. I had it in my mouth too, and everywhere from the neck to ankles, but NOT on my face, hands or feet. 

Some people have said they have it on their face, but I am not sure, since most people self diagnose these days. 

Since your doc thought it was an allergic reaction, have you taken Benedryl? Did it help? If so, then probably allergic reaction.

There are 5 very similar rashes: Lichens planus, granuloma annulare, guttate psoriasis, PR and contact dermatitis (allergic reaction). Best get a biopsy so you know what you are dealing with.

POOR BABY!!!!!!

• Posted

14 months! I empathize with you bc that is really crazy. I actually just called my dermatologist about an hour ago and I have an appointment tomorrow morning thankfully. I've been taking Allegra everyday and applying 1% hydrocortisone to no avail which is another reason why I don't think this is hives. Hopefully I'll get some answers tomorrow. Thanks for your insight!

• Posted

Ready for this? He doesn’t know...

Examined my face and said it was very difficult to tell and that he doesn’t want to do a biopsy because it’s on my face. Have to return in February for a follow up and if things haven’t improved will take a biopsy then. Potential allergic reaction so for now I’ve been instructed to only use Cetaphil to clean and moisturize my face and to apply 1% hydrocortisone for the next 4 to 6 weeks twice a day. Says  it will take a while for the hydrocortisone to actually start to work.  In the meantime new spots are appearing every day... Trying very hard to be patient and adhere to the doc’s orders. 

• Posted

UPDATE: Admittedly, I was feeling extremely frustrated after the doc appointment on Tues and actually (VERY) reluctantly headed to the tanning bed. I say reluctantly bc I am adamantly against tanning, but based on my past experience with PR I know that UV exposure was the only thing that gave me any sort of relief. Really wasn’t sure what to expect, but I’ve gone tanning 3x now and my face is now 85% clear with no new spots since the morning of my last post. I can’t attribute that to the hydrocortisone in a matter of days and although I’ve discontinued the use of my regular cleanser I can’t imagine such a dramatic change from that alone. Hopefully, things continue to improve over the next few days and I can discontinue the hydrocortisone and Allegra although I am 95% sure they haven’t actually done anything. 

Going to look up GP later on tonight. Thank you. 

• Posted

UV does help psoriasis of various types- look up light therapy for psoriasis- I researched a LOT in my 14 month misery with PR. I work outdoors in south Texas- housepainter- so, if tanning helped PR I would have had it for about 2 minutes.

I hope you continue to improve!!!! Glad there is so much improvement, I am sure you wanted it clear for Christmas!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.