Practical Ideas

Posted , 7 users are following.

I wonder how much practical guidance is given when people have THR. I was lucky to have a lot or to work out even more ideas. A lot of this is preparation beforehand,I can share some here:-

In the car  as a passeneger-

1. Tilt the seat back as much as possible, whilst you are getting in (bum first), to help preserve the right angle then return the seat to more comfortable position

2. Use a wedge shaped cushion preferably or any cushion to fill the drop at the back of the seat

3. Sit on a plastic bag to make it easier to pivot around.

Indoors

1.Whilst you sit or stand put the operated leg out in front

2. Increase the chair height with more cushions or an extra bit of chair seat foam which can go under the original seat.For the loo you need a raised toilet seat and at least one hand hold

3.Putting your crutches to one side turn them upside down which helps prevent them slipping over all the time

4.Going upstairs the good leg goes FIRST with the crutches

5.Have a grabber to hand for picking up items

6. In the kitchen if you cannot stand for long use an office type chair

but put the back against a cupboard whilst you get on otherwise it will move away from under you!

In the bedroom

1. How to get into bed ( will detai if necessary)

2.Getting dressed - the easy way to put on tight compression socks (for your helper)

3. Put the operated leg first into pants and trousers

4. Obtain velcro close shoes or elastic shoe laces if you are likely to have to do it alone

5.Use a long handled shoe horn

Anymore ideas out there?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Amendment to indoors 5. Have an extra grabber to pick up the grabber when you drop it off it otherwise ends up on the floor, as they are wont to do when least convenient. And on 6, even with something begins it a chair on wheels is likely to slide - use a perching stool, or ironing stool instead as they won't move. 

There's a huge list of useful things on rocketmans threads, listed in resources at the top. 

• Posted

I got a stick on grab handle for the shower. Very useful for just steadying oneself. And you can remove it when you no longer need it.
  • Posted

hi jomary,  thank you for sharing this list ...I think we all get some information before THR surgery, including the things we need to either purchase or rent -but to be honest,  it did not mean a thing to me .... the how-to-get-in and out-of-a-chair etc. until I had the surgery ... Then there were a lot of things I didn't know what to do ... one of the most important things to me was: going to the toilet by yourself ... okay, I got the raised seat ... arghhh but then ... where is the toilet paper and .. now what?  My toilet was too small to have a rack or something to support me when standing up ... anyway .... I found this forum and we exchanged tips as we went along ..Forum member Graham, aka Rocketman, put all these tips together and created this web page - https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147 (scroll down until you see A Layman's Guide to ..) Now, I live alone and had 2 THR surgeries 6 months apart ... instead of crutches I was advised to get a rollator (walker with 4 wheels) that also has a little basket and bench so I could put my cup (coffee, tea) and other things on it and move around ...I would not be able to carry anything when using crutches ... of course it is different when you do not live alone ... When is your surgery date? big warm hugrenee  

• Posted

Thanks for the pre-opportunity tips. I am scheduled for a LTHR on February 2nd. I have gotten 2 each of the walkers, grabbers, and raised toilet seats as we have a 2 story home. I figured this would be much more convenient for my husband as my caregiver. Also, I belong to my local Freecyclers Yahoo group and posted a message for my needs. I was given 4 walkers, a toilet seat, a shower bench, and a cane. I have given the extra walkers to a friend at church who is an Occupational Therapist for low income and the homeless. Once I no longer need the items I plan to post them back on Freecyclers or give to my friend for those she supports..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.