Praise Report for Turp

Posted , 9 users are following.

As some of you may know I had my Turp done on May 24th of this year. Doing my due diligence I was very hesitant to opt for the Turp, from what I read here. However, because of my finances, insurance and the fact my prostate tissue was migrating into my bladder, I really did not have much choice other than a Turp.

Recovery from the Turp was not easy. I had a reaction to the anaesthetic, which left me on my back for close to a week. It induced migraines and I couldn't keep anything down. Then I was having difficulty voiding without the Foley. I had the Foley in and out for months prior to and after the Turp operation. It seems my bladder got "lazy." I had to retrain my bladder. Now I'm able to void, not like a teenager but with a respectable flow. I just self-catheter once a day before bed. My Urologist wants me to do this for another 30 days. But most amazing I don't suffer from retrograde ejaculation. Frankly I couldn't father a child with the amount of my ejaculate, but it's definitely not retrograde either.

So a Turp in the hands of a skilled surgeon worked out very well for me indeed, Denis

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

What exercises did you use to retrain your bladder?

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom... When I still had my Foley/Catheter in, I unplugged the catheter from the Foley and put a plug in the catheter tube. So this filled my bladder and then I had the sensation to void. At night time the urine flowed into the Foley ununstructured. This went on for a week. Now I just self-catheter once a day before bed time. Denis
  • Posted

Den.  I am very happy for you. I have been on this site for a couple of years and I am not a fan of the Turp or any procedure that mutilates the prostate.  But I do understand  we all have to do what we feel is right for us.  As you know when you read up on the turp information it can be a very long and pain full recoverery.  You were one of the lucky ones and had a skilled surgeon that care enough to not destroy your bladder neck.  I also understand that you had no choice once the medien lobe gets into the neck of the bladder it has to be cut away. Good health to you.  Ken........Remember Guys this is just my opinion    
  • Posted

Denis, I had my TURP a week after yours and I recovered 100%.

Turp solved all my urinary problems. Sex after TURP is great and lasts twice as long as it was before, orgasam said are great and more intense then before turp. Yes, I have RE but I do not mind it at all. Everything works well for me.

And as benefit, TURP found cancer in my prostate even that my PSA was always low and DRE normal.

So now, I have something else to deal with.

• Posted

Sorry MK, my dad survived prostate cancer. That was years ago. As I recall reading your post your cancer was caught early, and with new treatments... you will be a survivor too. The best to you, Denis
    • Posted

MK  I'm very happy that your Turp works for you but that is what you pick.  I also am sorry about the cancer.  But with catching it early they will get it and you will be fine.  For me a Turp would never be my pick.  I will not give up one thing for another.  At 60 my orgasm are very intense and are better then they were when I was younger...I also would never give up my ejacalation.  Had retro with a few pills I was on a few years ago.  Did not like it.  For right now I will leave everything the way it is.  It is my life and I will do what I feel is right for me.  My urologist know how I feel and he would never suggest it.  Remember this is my opinion and I am not going to tell anyone what to do.  You have to get all the information and then talk with your doctor and you decide not your doctor he can only tell you what you think would work because you does not really know?????.  Good Luck and God Bless   

• Posted

Kenneth1955,

i experienced RE while I was in Tamsulosin especially when I started taking it twice, mornings and evenings. I barely felt orgasams with no ejaculation. Post TURP my orgasams are very intense, long lasting and my whole body is shaking from the pleasure of orgasam. My recovery time after orgasam is very quick like when I was in my twenties. I like it and trade is fair.

• Posted

I was on that and Flomax.  Like you said there was no nothing  It was there and over and with no ejaculation I said no way.  I went to my urologist and that is when he offered me the Urolift. My prostate lobes were touchng and he said with the Urolift he could open it up.  So that is what I had. All been good I also have a stricture so I have to be carefull of what kind of catheter they put .  I will be having a heart ablation in August.  Have to make sure.  I what to see it before they put anything in.  I don't what a problem.  I am happy that your turp worked well for you and that you can still have some pleasure in your life.  After being on here there have been some horror storys about the turp and the recoverery. There have been some men that can't have sex after there surgery.  Take care and enjoy your life...  Have a good 4th of July  God Bless  Ken    

• Posted

Personally I expected no catheter at all and I am very deceived. After having TURP on

May 12 I can uritate but not very well and much too often. Any advice?

• Posted

I had my turp last year in Florida as i am from Canada but had problems peeing so decided on a turp. I am glad i had that one and not the non invasive ones where they do not spot anything.I hasd a lesion on my prostate and the results were sent away for testing and they came back negative for cancer.I have some RE but every thing else is okay. I did not need any pain meds after the operation as there was no pain. I do not take any follow up meds so i dont know if that is good or not as i did not ask the doctor if i should take anything just to make sure nothing comes back. cheers nick
  • Posted

You needn't take any drugs after TURP.

• Posted

Having been on this site for a few years .  There have been men that had a turp done and still had to take meds and or have another turp or someother procedure again.  It not all way a fix all.  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.