Prantoprazole what is highest dose you can take

Posted , 4 users are following.

What is hugest dose of prantoprazole or what is it equivalent to other ppi dosages like omaprazole any ideas considering to give them a try before ph monitoring appointment comes through have tryed 3 ppi gi doc said could be worth trying again forgot to ask about dosage

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

40mg pantoprazole is equivalent to 20 mg omeprazole.

20 mg omeprazole is normal maintenance dose and 40mg omeprazole is normal high dose though some have to take 80mg omeprazole (as i did ofr a few years before fundoplication). But, in extreme cases, 160 mg has been given!

So normal high dose for pantoprazole is 80mg and in some cases even 160mg. But the doseage should be under the direction and monitoring of a doctor.

PPIs are powerful drugs that should always be prescribed at lowest effective dose.

Other equivalents:

20mg omepraxole = 30mg lansoprazole = 40 mg pantoprazole = 20mg rabeprazole = 20mg esomeprazole = 30mg dexlansoprazole.

Sorry, I don't have equivalents for ilaprazole, picoprazole, tenatoprazole or timoprazole.

• Posted

Thanks for info on the doses I may try 80 as I have a chronic cough again but I am doubtfull it's hard to tell how they work for me I think they may help a little but have tryed a few now but never really liked upping them as it's side affects but I think I may need to try before the option of surgery is close to be called now after ph monitoring bit worried really keep hearing horre story's about it thanks again
    • Posted

PPIs are good at stopping acid but not reflux. Your cough is more the result of reflux than acid.

Horror stories of PPIs are largely exagerated. You usually need to be on a high dose for a couple of years to start inducing hypochlorhydria which causes the probelms.

• Posted

I don't think these equivalents are correct, got a source for these figures question
    • Posted

Ok thanks maybe I try and persist there is a lot of information on the net that says acid reflux can be caused by low stomach acid but docs keep telling me this is misleading
    • Posted

Various sources. eg  "All PPIs equivalent for treatment of GERD - 

Klok RM, Postma MJ, Van Hout BA, Brouwers JR. (Meta-analysis: comparing the efficacy of proton pump inhibitors in short-term use.) Alimentery Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2003; 17:1237–1245.

• Posted

Thanks smile​ I'll mull it / them over cheesygrin
  • Posted

I am on Rabeprazole and am no better . Also on Ranitidine. Have managed to cut down and even get off drugs in the past. Should I change ? Does your body get used to drugs. I get constant heartburn, especially at night. Even water sets it off
    • Posted

What doses ad timings?

Some people may start getting used to one PPI. Discuss with your GP. You could try switching to another. He may well suggest you increase your dose for a short period.

Try to reduce the reflux.

• Posted

How do I reduce reflux? I only eat GERD friendly food, have cut out dairy and wheat. Cut out triggers ages ago.Heartburn comes on gradually throughout the day and builds up in evening and through the night. Last night a sip of water set it off again until 3.30am. This morning water is Ok. Sometimes Domperidone works well, sometimes not. I Rabeprazole and Ranitidine before breakfast but spaced apart. And again before I eat in the evening, as specified by my Consultant. Once I took Rabeprazole at bedtime and it worked, another time it didn't. I tried people's recommendations on this forum eg ACV and the resulting heartburn was so bad I thought I would die! I know the GP is just trying to heal everything and then cut down medication because after a month of these two drugs I was pain free and meds free! It cam back in August but I was able to do the same again and reduce to one 150 Ranitidine but of course it came back and so I'm on this cocktail of drugs yet again. I appreciate any help and advice you can give. I'm off to see a nutritionist now so wish me luck.
    • Posted

All the measures you're taking seem to be directed at acid reduction.

Best time for rabeprazole is half an hour before breakfast. Take the ranitidine in the evening. However the drugs won't reduce the reflux.

Lose weight if necessary. Don't overfill your stomach - eat little and often.

Avoid tight clothing. Avoid exercise after meals that will put pressure on the stomach.

Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed. Raise the head of the bed bu 6 to 8 inches.

• Posted

I thought the drugs were to reduce the acid in my stomach so that I didn't get reflux, thus enabling the oesophagus to heal. As this isn't happening my oesophagus is getting more damaged and so the heartburn is worse. At least , that's my take on this. At the same time I have fixed my diet, raised the bed and done all the things you mention but to no avail. I am very thin, having lost lots of weight. Until this happened I was very fit and healthy, rarely ill, playing tennis and golf at 71. Off to see the nutritionist, who will probably say throw the drugs away!
    • Posted

Many seeem to assume "acid reflux" is one condition but it has several elements - particularly acid and reflux. The aicd doesn't cause the reflux but refluxing of acid causes damage which reducing the acid helps with. However, reflux without acid can als be damaging.

The nutritionist will again only offer advice related to reducing acid - nit to reducing reflux.

If your heartburn has got worse again recently despite taking acid suppressants,, has your GP sent you for another scope to see what's going on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.