Pravastatin 10mg - taken once/day at night

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started taking Pravastatin 10mg on January 19, 2018, almost 3 weeks ago.  Now I just sit and stare at the TV, can't get anything done.  I want to sleep during the day (unusual for me) and am awake half the night.  Infrequent bouts of mild depression.  And I'm ANGRY, bordering on aggression.  Anyone else having these symptoms?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Is your cholesterol otherwise normal?  If so the statins will reduce it far more than is a good idea.  Such was the case with me, I didn't need it at all, but due to a heart operation they put me on it as part of their protocol.  It took my chiropractor to advise me that the brain needs its fats, and critically.  It won't function right without enough cholesterol.

My totally normal numbers went down by a full 1/3, and my memory became a patchwork quilt.  Couldn't remember a lot of good times I had had, which made everything that used to be colorful for me go to black and white.  I'd call that mild depression, yes.

I would go further but last time my experience blasted statins on this site my post disappeared, so I will stop here.  Suffice to say I quit them, and permanently, and my memory is almost back to normal after a couple years.  But still not tip top, like when I was younger.  I am 68, which could of course be part of it too.  But the low point, when I could not remember the number of the bank account I had had for 25 years, had never happened before and has not happened since.  It pinpointed at when I was in the middle of taking the statins.

Take CoQ10 every day, statins deplete you of it.  Don't need to if off statins, but you do need it supplemented if you are.  Good luck -

• Posted

Thx for your experience with statins, MrBob... my cholesterol was way high, above 300, which is why the doc put me on a statin to begin with.  I had been on atorvastatin 20mg and it was doing a good job.  I also was not having any problems with side effects while on it.  Then he decided to change me to pravastatin because it's supposedly easier on the liver and kidneys.  But it had all these bad side-effects.  I stopped taking the pravastatin the other night - on my own - and got the old bottle of atorvastatin out of the cupboard.  2 days now and I'm back to my normal self.  No more pravastatin for me!

• Posted

Ah, so not all statins affect people the same way.  OK.  Glad you're back to your old self.  I tried 2 types and that was it for me, but your case and mine are completely different.  Good to hear.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.