pravastatin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I'm new to this forum and scared out of my mind. I'm in the U.S. so I'm not sure if my numbers are the same. I'm 51, I have heart issues to start with, MVP and the bicuspid aortic valve also leaks and tachycardia. I'm on a beta blocker and I've been having nagging pinching burning pains so I called my doctor on Monday and had an EKG and blood work done (waiting on the stress test to be scheduled). It came back that my HDL is 37(low), LDL is 187 and Triglycerides are 223. I know those are high, which is likely caused because of family high cholesterol, my diet is pretty darn good for my age lol. He wants me to take Pravastatin 10mg. My dad is a heart patient and takes Simvistatin and has horrible leg cramps. My aunt was on Lipitor and it caused her to go into kidney failure (They're brother and sister). I've read so much bad stuff about statins I'm literally terrified and giving myself panic attacks about taking this. Does anyone take this drug? Is there natural alternatives like fish oil that anyone has success with. I turned down the lipitor several years ago because of all the bad side affects but my doc is really pushing it this time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I don't think the doctors really care as long as they're getting the kick back from the pharma companies.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

First of all stop panicking! Your LDL 187 is borderline high and your Triglycerides 223 is high but both could be MUCH higher. 10mg is a low dosage, I was on 40mg and had low cholesterol! However all statins have side effects so you need to do your research for those. Avoid Simvastatin completely.

Check your diet carefully. Lots of fruit and vegetables. Avoid ready made meals, sugar and bad fats. Walk!

You have to make the decision re statins or not but only after as much research as possible. Take up meditation or something similar as going into panic mode will make things ten times worse.

Good luck and come back to me when decisions are made/or not!

Lea

• Posted

Hi Gigi,

I am a great believer that statins are bad. Cholesterol is there for a reason, because the body needs it. 75% is made by the liver only 25% comes from food. If your family have so called high cholesterol then that is right for your family, there is something seriously wrong with people who say everyone in the world has the same levels of cholesterol, blood pressure etc,.

I have researched this subject for the last 5 years, the original study was badly flawed and everyone has suffered for it since. Do not worry about cholesterol.

• Posted

Thanks both of you for your input!!

I've done a lot of research over the last couple of years and I can't find anything good about these drugs. My mom just died in May, she had Alzheimer's, which I've read research that they can increase chances for dementia, and also the family high cholesterol it really doesn't have much of an impact. I hate the scare tactics, I already have high risk bc of my heart issues and blood pressure and my doc is telling me my chances of having a cardiac event are extremely high, which I know. I walk nightly, I do my own yard work and stay active, I rarely eat fast food, I don't eat sweets, but I'm also not a huge fan of fish, nuts and all the things that are supposed to be good for cholesterol, I'm a picky eater. I'm having issues finding a good supplement, Omega 3s, flaxseed oil etc, it all has conflicting info.

My dad, bless his heart, has been on his meds for almost 20 yrs since his heart attack but has had 2 strokes while being on it, but he insists I should take it.. I feel as if I'm damned if I do and damned if i don't.

• Posted

Gigi,

This is true and another reason why doctors are completely wrong about cholesterol control.

Back in the 1980s hubby went to a well man clinic which was a new thing back then. He was told all the rubbish about cholesterol, we changed lard for sunflower oil, butter for flora, milk to skimmed. We went the whole 9 yards, when I had my cholesterol tested in the 1990s mine was and always read just over 7. In January 2015 I started having coconut oil yes coconut oil 94% saturated fat and guess what I had a test in April 2015 and the reading was 5.1. Lesson here use saturated fat, artificially made fats are high in omega 6 and bad for you.

If you look at pans, fryers at have used sunflower oil they get thick gunge from the oil, imagine that in your arteries! lard does not do that.

Your dad is wrong to tell you to have statins, they have not helped him. Stop worrying about cholesterol, we have all been brainwashed about cholesterol.

• Posted

Jen,

His cholesterol did decrease by half so I think that's why he wants me to take it. I'm still staring at the bottle and haven't touched it. My stress test is this week along with an artery test to see if theres any blockage. And frankly my GP isn't the one I want telling me what to do with my heart, that's my cardiologist job.

I seldom use any type of oil, and when I do its extra virgin olive oil. I don't eat fried foods. When I say I'm a picky eater that's an understatement lol.

But I know something is going on though, I'm symptomatic with my valves but my chest pains are double and my heart meds were raised bc my heart rate is extremely high. Last Monday it woke me up out of a dead sleep, it was 170 bpm, no way that should happen while sleeping and being on meds to keep it low. I'm just feeling so run down and need some answers.

• Posted

Gigi,

The whole point of the cholesterol argument is, is it right to lower it? can cholesterol do it's job if it is artificially lowered.

I forgot to mention in my last post hubby had a heart attack in 2018 and I have learned so much more during the last 18 months about doctors, I have lost the respect I had growing up. Knowing no difference I assumed they had 'special' drugs for people with heart problems but no, they give him a load of drugs which we have managed to get him off. The worst and it completely damaged his health was a beta blocker Bisoprolol, if they had just given him stents and left it at that he would have been fine.

It is out there already but will eventually be shown to be the cause of most blocked arteries is calcium and not cholesterol, it makes much more sense. I believe my hubbies was caused by the gunge of 30 years of using sunflower oil.

• Posted

Hi Jen

I am on a similar page to you.

When discussing one of my blood results with my GP he really didn't have an answer to one of my questions.

He described what they tested for, Total Cholesterol, (LDL) (Bad Cholesterol) (HDL Good Cholesterol ) as it helps remove the bad LDL cholesterol from your blood, and Triglycerides.

OK my Question, Why is there a warning next to the test levels of my HDL good cholesterol? answer = Silence.

The statins had lowered my good Cholesterol so low, it didn't even show on the start of the test scale. The lab put a warning next to this as it needed investigating.

Then I was told all about the formula that is used to issue Statins.

They take into consideration, Age, Cholesterol levels, Blood pressure, Height, weight, Sex, Ethnicity and family history.

The outcome of this formula may work out you are at risk of a Heart attack or Stroke in the next ten years, so they then prescribe Statins.

Question 2, But the statins have lowered my Good Cholesterol to low,? surely this has put me more at risk as it helps remove the bad Cholesterol from my blood.

Not to worry this formula only works up to about 74/75 years of age.

I stopped taking the statins and my next blood everything was normal.

As I have already stated in one of my other posts I had to have another blood test to check the first blood test, which was also normal.

I give up

Paul

• Posted

Paul,

I gave up on cholesterol a few years ago when I realized there is something wrong when doctors are putting everyone on a drug, then I started educating myself about the origins of the cholesterol lie. If you want a read google Ancel Keyes, there was a twenty two countries study regarding cholesterol, the results did not fit with his theory so he ignored fifteen countries and used the seven that fitted his belief. Keyes was the type of person who was able push his beliefs on to the 'right' people, the obsession about cholesterol all began from this flawed study.

I know the last time I bothered getting mine tested coconut oil had dropped the number. I no longer bother or worry about it, I now cook with lard, use coconut oil or olive oil and keep away from any other oils. I do cook all my own food and freeze it, no longer buy frozen or packet food.

• Posted

My dads was over 400 and his triglycerides were about as bad. Same with my Aunt. He had his heart attack in 2000 and had a stent put in and was good until 2015 for the first TIA and had another stent in the artery in his neck.. the 3rd one was in 2017 but that one is up for grabs on weather it was a stroke or not. My aunt had triple bypass is 2004 and was good on crestor until the doc switched her to Lipitor in 2017 and it caused her kidney failure so now she takes none and in the last yr has has 2 heart attacks and now has 3 stents in the same artery. I cant come close to spelling the tech term but we have the familial high cholesterol so it's not our food it's our bodies. Not to mention the host of inherited heart conditions that puts us all in high risk category. I guess the docs are thinking that keeping it low helps. But unless they can guarantee I'll never have a heart attack or stroke I'm not taking it.. every single person in my family has heart and blood pressure issues coupled with the cholesterol, some successfully controlling it with meds others failing with meds. I already take bp and heart meds and have since I was a teenager (bp only since 2015). I'm just not keen on a drug that is basically poison but I also dont wanna check out just yet either. 🤷‍

• Posted

I am so sorry Gigi to hear of your families heart problems. It certainly seems to be a genetic defect of the heart running through your family, you would think doctors would try to find the cause wouldn't you.

Everything I read regarding statins does not seem to support a protection from heart/stokes, people seem to change lifestyle i.e exercise more and drop the 'TV meals'

At the end of the day everyone has to make their own decision about their heath with information gained.

• Posted

Hello Gigi368

First of all I am not a medical person, but my experience with statins has been some what a rough road.

I was diagnosed with High Blood pressure so was given medication for that, but I was also prescribed statin even though my cholesterol was a fraction over the what is reconised as normal.

I started getting pains in my legs and a few other reactions, my GP changed the statins 4 times with the same problems. My GP took me off the statins and continued to monitor my cholesterol.

It wasn't until I was having a general discussion with another GP , that I found out that the GP controlled her cholesterol in a natural way, and as a part of that, was to eat 5 Almond nuts a day. I was a bit skeptical about the information, but I had nothing to loose so I gave it a go.

After having a blood test I visited my GP, who said how did you get your cholesterol down to that level?

In a joking way he accused me of cheating the test, how I don't know, but I had to have another blood test to check it again. When the results came back the same, he just shock his head and asked what I was doing.

I am watching what I eat, but I do eat 5 Almonds a day, on the advice of another GP, "So are they working"? he seem to think so.

I know this sort of thing doesn't work with everyone, and I wouldn't suggest you stop taking any Medication without a discussion with your doctor, but it's worth a go even while you taking statins and have your cholesterol checked by frequent blood tests to see what happens.

• Posted

Paul.. I'm not much of a nut eater but at this point I'll try anything. I eat Kind Bars, they supposedly have 5 super grains in it, oats, millet, buckwheat, amaranth and quinoa. No cholesterol or trans fats. I think they have a nut bar too, maybe I'll like that better than just eating almonds but I'm gonna give it try, cant hurt.. thanks for the tip!!!!

• Posted

Im 74 years of age and even a very low dose like 5 or 10 mg has an immediate effect on my joints and tendons - the very next day after taking one tiny pill. I have a weakness in my right hip and when I take that statin pill I wake up with a major throbbing problem there.

• Posted

Diane

I decided not to take it and boy did my doc yell at me. I don't trust most medications and I certainly am not taking something that has so many dangerous side effects like statins do. I'm trying out fish oil capsules and adding more fruits and vegetables, even if I don't like them. I walk every night and do all my own yard work, which is strenuous and gets my heart rate up. If nothing changes then so be it. Thank you so much for your reply!

• Posted

Hi,

Change doctors! I saw my doctor the other day and she is brilliant! I have lost

five and a half stone over eight years due to Simvastatin which doesn't sound a lot if you are dieting but I eat like a horse! I said it was the statins, she said no because I stopped taking them so I then asked her why people suffer terrible muscle pains when they have also stopped. She couldn't answer me. A friend of mine is on 20 pills per day including statins and blood thinners. Last week she was rushed to A & E with a heart attack!

I now take fish oils and magnesium capsules, eat vegetables, chicken, yoghurt and double cream! I wouldn't advise the latter but I'm trying to put on weight. I also add crunched up almonds to my yoghurt. I'm allergic to most fruit and advise you don't overdo that (fructose) I also react to sugar-avoid like the plague and check your nut bars in case there's hidden sugar.

You seem much calmer now which is great. Just listen to your body, do lots of more research and as I said, change your doctor. You are a grown up not a child and he/she doesn't have the right to treat you without respect. It is after all YOUR life! Come back and give us a progress report.

xx

• Posted

I just ignore him lol. I've been with him for 25 yrs, he knows the more he pushes me the more I'll dig in my heels.

I've read that the statins depleat your natural CoQ10 and that's what causes the muscle aches and breakdown. I'm not adding another pill. I'm extremely sensitive to medication, even 1 tylenol makes me sleepy. The first blood pressure pill I was on put me in the hospital bc it took almost all of my potassium out of my system, had I waited another few hours the emergency room doc said I'd have been dead.. so I'm definitely not taking something that has that potential with almost no benefit.

I have been a crazy person reading labels lately. I don't over do my fruits and I alternate them daily.. I did add the almonds, I have about 6 or so for breakfast (I only eat one meal a day and that's dinner). I'm not a sweets eater so I don't worry much about extra sugar and I don't eat out often, I cook a lot of chicken, not fried, either grilled or oven or slow cooker, same with lean pork chops, and I'm cutting way back on red meat. I wish I would lose weight! I have lost 7 lbs in the last few weeks but I have this lovely menopause going on and the HRT has other ideas lol. I'm not "overweight " according to the BMI but another 5-10 pounds would make me happy.

I can't use magnesium bc it interacts with my heart medication, but the fish oil don't, although it gives me a sour stomach for a couple hours after taking it.

I go back in January for my 6 month check up and blood work, so we'll see if anything I've changed makes a difference..

• Posted

Oh God,menopause as well!!!! Did that when I was 39 my daughter was 38!

Great fun. Two years of major depression. Thought I was going nuts!

I took CQ10 for years. Not really sure if it did anything. It certainly had no effect on the weight loss and I don't get muscle ache.

My doctor wanted me to take Clopidogrel for my heart. Can't take Aspirin.

Read the side effects and binned them! Keep reading labels! There's sugar in every damn thing!

You should lose the weight now considering what you're eating, just give it time.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.