Pravastatin and GERD?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor put me on 20mg of Pravastatin. The first thing I noticed is that my BP dropped like a rock after a couple of weeks, probably a coincidence? But now I have terrible Acid Reflux that no amount of PPis will stop. I've had Acid Reflux for 18 years, but it has always been kept in check by PPIs (more or less). Yesterday I took two of my 40mg pantoprazol, 4 tums and an extra strength Rantidine but the GERD continued. My GERD feels like it did when I first developed it; like you swallowed your heart. I've stopped taking my Pravastatin temporarily to see if my GERD subsides or if it's something else. I supposed to go for another endoscopy soon to see what's going on.

Any experience with this on Statins?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, my dad had it so bad they ended up pumping his stomach. His acid buildup was making him so sick he was nauseous & vomiting. He was not given an endoscopy but an x-ray at the emergency room where they performed the pumping after the x-ray. A year later he decided going off the statin since then his acid reflux has not come back. PPI's are the worst thing you want to take as it builds up more acid and causes acidosis in the body. Best way to get rid of it is to drink the juice of cabbage & eat it. This how I cured my gerd and acid reflux. Nowadays, if I feel any burning in my stomach I buy cabbage and make a salad or I juice it. Look it up on line on yt, nature provides everything we need to help heal our bodies. By the time my dad got sick even drinking water made him throw up, but now if he feels anything i give him Bromelain to neutralized his stomach or we eat cabbage. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks, I've tried to get off PPIs before, but I have an Hiatus Hernia so it's difficult. I've tried slippery elm and DGL, but they did not help. I've stopped the statin for now and the Acid Reflux seems to be improving. I hurt my wrist before I started the statin and it was not healing, but seems to be getting better now that I'm off the statin. Now if the gas would subside, everyone would be happy. :-)

• Posted

Hi, for the gas try peppermint tea or activated charcoal tablets (be warned, they may make your stools black but that's normal). As Sochima822 says PPIs are bad for GERD and are now known to cause many other digestive issues such as collagenous and lymphocytic colitis. As you also have the hernia, it may be difficult to stop the PPI. Have you tried the Pioppi or Paleo diets?

• Posted

Hi, I too suffered from Pravastatin; left me with collagenous colitis so I know what it's like to be constantly seeking alternatives to manage my symptoms. I've sent another reply on diet.

• Posted

Thanks, Peppermint is a serious trigger for my GERD. Too bad, because I love it.

I'm back on Dexilant and Lansoprazole, which my insurance doesn't fully cover. I had another Endoscopy, which they said showed no damage to the esophagus surprisingly. I'm supposed to live on oatmeal apparently. rolleyes

• Posted

Hi, sorry you are experiencing this. Statins are known to cause GERD, colitis and many more gastro issues.  Celery juice is good for GERD. See your GP asap to get off any NSAIDs and PPIs as long term use of these too cause GERD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.