Pravastatin Left Me With Colitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Following an AF attack in April 2017 I was prescribed a blood thinner, Pravastatin and Ranitidine (a gastro--resistant protector). Within only a few days I started to suffer with awful side effects including pins and needles in my feet and the palms of my hands, my fingertips went completely numb, lethargy one day, insomnia the next, a general feeling of malaise and the most horrendous diarrhoea!

In the days and weeks that followed, I would empty my bowels up to 45 times a day, was unable to sleep, up for hours during the night, worked from home more often than not as I simply couldn't leave the house. I visited my GP on numerous occasions and finally on 16 May when my left eye swelled up and almost closed due to the puffiness, I stopped taking all the medications she had prescribed.

I saw her again on 21 May, told her what I had done, that I felt much better for it apart form the diarrhoea which was constant. She already knew about the diarrhoea from my previous visits and on this occasion decided tests were needed to get, as she put it 'to the bottom of things',

Numerous tests and hospital visited them ensued; I got through my holiday at the end of July on Imodium Instants but still the diarrhoea persisted every night and first thing in the morning.

Having had both a colonoscopy and MRI, my diagnosis is that of Microscopic Collagenous Colitis, a direct result of taking the statin as it is known that statins in general deplete the required levels of co-enzyme Q10 within the body. This is required for good cardiac, muscle and gastro-intestinal health -  I was burning myself from the inside out as I was no longer able to re-absorb any excess bile acid.

I will not live my life on further drugs, nor will I undergo major surgery and am currently managing my condition drug-free using an holistic approach via the power of food.

I am now considering my next move as I feel the pharmaceutical company, the government and my GP are all responsible for my current condition.  Is anyone out there in the same boat?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I also have microscopic Collagenous colitis, I have had it for about 12 years, I also have UC which I have had a tad longer.

I also take 10 mg a day of simvastatin with no adverse side effects and funnily enough I haven't had a flare in all the time I have been on them,10 months, my MC and UC were both brought on by food poisoning, its so true that we are all so different, some can take them and others can't, my MIL has AF but hasn't been prescribed statins as her cholesterol is fine, just blood thinners because AF is an irregular heartbeat often associated with strokes and heart attacks

• Posted

Hi

Totally agree that each person is different.

The drugs as prescribed to me in April is the only change to my normal routine. I've been asked on several occasions whether  I've travelled overseas prior to the onset of the diarrhoea the answer to which is No. I've also been told by 3 senior physicians that if any of the drugs I was on had done this to me, it was the stain.

Although I've got it under control I will never be the same - this is just another thalidamiide waiting to happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.