Pre-Assessment to surgery waiting time?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I'm after some advice please! I have been told my 10cm ovarian cyst needs surgically removing, so I am waiting on a surgery date. Today, I got through my Pre-Assessment appointment which is scheduled for 5th June. Does anyone know how quickly I'm likely to have the operation following this? Also, will I be told on the day when my operation is or should I find out before/after?

I'm a teacher so I need to let my work know as soon as possible so the correct cover can be put into place. Also - I'd like to know what the procedure is so I can put my mind to rest!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rebecca

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Rebecca

Sorry to hear that you are going through this but how did you fond out you had a cyst? Did you have any symptons?

• Posted

If your having unusual symptoms ask the dr for an ultrasound. That's how mine was discovered. I was having other symptoms which may not be related as I'm still having some of them but classic cyst symptoms are needing to wee more often, sometimes pelvic pain, pain during sex, bloating.

I had an investigation due to bleeding more than just my period but I still am a year after cyst removal and it never stopped so it probably wasn't the cyst causing it.

• Posted

I think my pre assessment was only a week or 2 before surgery but I think it can vary. Normally they do bloods and check your well before surgery so they don't want to leave it to long as your health can change obviously if you get a cold or an infection.

i had a laparoscopy which is 3 small incisions under general anaesthetic, mine was 10cm on scan also but bigger when they got in. Depending on the type of cyst I think sometimes they need to do 1 bigger cut which is a longer recovery.

It hurts for a few days where the muscle is sore and stitched when you move but it's not unbearable. The gas they pump you up with stays in your body well some of it anyway and it can cause quite an intense shoulder pain in the next few days but again it passes fairly quickly and if you don't move around too much it doesn't cause much problems. I took windeze but don't know if it helped.

Overall I recovered a lot quicker than I thought I would. I had 1 night in hospital which was only because I couldn't pee due to anaesthetic and 1 day on sofa then slowly got up doing little bits the next few days.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

Do you know if its a dermoid cyst you have?

This is how long it took me.  I have an 8cm dermoid cyst on my left Ovary.

I had my Pre-assessment appointment on 1st March this year, following an ultra sound on 13th February.

About a weeh after my Pre-assessment appointment I received my Operation date of 16th May (next week), I will be in for Day surgery, so will be in and out the same day.  I think it does depend on the district you live in and what the waiting times are.  I have been told that I would need to take 2 weeks off work to recover, but this maybe more dependant on how physical your job is.  I have a desk job.

You can give dates at your pre-assessment when not to have the operation as they asked me this at the time.

I hope this helps a little and please ask any questions.

I can also update after my operation next week.

Gemma

• Posted

Hi Gemmajane,

Just wanted to wish you luck for your surgery tommorow.

Hope you have a speedy recovery with no complications.

Will pray for you tommorow.

Best wishes

Cheryl 💚

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.