Pre diabetes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been to see diabetic nurse as hospital says i have diabetes but the nurse says I'm pre diabetic and to go on a healthy eating diat so looking for a good diat for my self and wife any ideas any one , most days i only eat one meal a day and drink tea about 4 times a day .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

small portions more often....and forgive me but exercise is one of the best tools to battle prediab condition. no fizzy drinks and try to avoid alcohol as well.... in general green diet is best... maybe even try vegetarian...it cant hurt

take care

• Posted

Exercise, low glycemic food, stay away from sugar

• Posted

Ideally, eat three meals a day, eat little but often and cook from fresh. Cut back on sugar. Has your diabetic nurse not given you a diet sheet?If not, your should have been offered one. See your doctor for a diet sheet or ask to see the diabetic nurse again.

• Posted

I am insulin resistant but have to watch my diet to stop me becoming diabetic as diabetes runs in my family. look up low gi diet. So avoid things like white bread and white pasta. Check sugar content in everything including sauces you should always have below 9 grams. If you eat fruit you need to change to savoury fruits not sweet fruits. So tomato, olive avocado rather than your usual types. There is sugar in so many things you wouldn't even think had it in, that is why you always need to check the nutritional value under "carbohydrates of which sugars." Cereal can have loads of sugar in and yoghurt particularly the low fat version can have a lot of sugar. Have vegetable juice rather than fruit juice, I have v8. Alcohol is also bad so if you drink try to cut down. Things like beer, cocktails, liqueurs and sweet drinks are to be avoided. A couple of glasses of red wine or a couple of gin and slimline tonics here and there should be ok. I only drink red wine, but if I have more than 3 glasses I get the jitters and I can't sleep so just try and be cautious. It is hard at first to change eating and drinking habits and annoying to have to keep checking sugar content, but after a while you get used to it. Your taste starts to change when you cut down on sugar and when you have something you haven't checked the sugar content in and it has a lot of sugar in, you can really taste it! The one meal a day thing must mean you get very tired after and probably snack on bad food throughout the day. You should have ideally 3 meals a day but at least 2, with healthy savoury snacks every 3 hours. Like a handful of nuts, a couple of flavoured rice cakes, vegetable crisps, popcorn or giant corn snacks.

Another diet they suggest more recently is the 5:2 diet which involves fasting. If you can stick to 500 calories for 2 days a week and eat normally the other 2 days that is also said to help reverse diabetes. The normal days, you would have to eat more than once a day though! Look up both the diets and see which one works best for you. Also look at the suggested foods they recommend.

• Posted

Hi insulin

Pleased to meet you I'm kevin to be honest i may find it difficult to diet i know what doctor's say but my health is poor at the moment with suffering with Myasthenia gravis i also suffer from a number of other conditions but the 5.2 diet sounds good to me as for my tiredness its all part of my condition I'm warn out no matter how much sleep i have I'm warn out and very dizzy .

I know i need to diet but its knowing the best time to do it .

thank you for your message , hope i find you well my friend.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replay the nurse said I'm almost 13 stone and need to lose around 2 stone we have been looking at diats on line but thinking if i cut down on my portions may be eat more salad it may help i will ask doctors for a diat sheet next time I'm in the surgery .

i don't know what i would do with out your support Thank you 😊 its nice knowing i have friends who care .

have a good weekend everyone .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.