Pre diabetic diagnosis, now what?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed last year as prediabetic. I tested my sugars daily, never got higher than 9(Canadian reading). I stopped testing as my levels were good.

Now I get told, after a diagnosis of frozen shoulder, that I was more prone to it due to the prediabetic diagnosis. I'm told to keep my levels in check.

I watch what I eat, I'm losing weight as well. What more can I do?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I converted your number into what I understand (USA). 

A lot goes into your number, when you test, what,when and how much you eat and other indicators.

Assuming your number was AM and fasting it would be higher than I would like, but only by 10 points on my scale. I try to keep my dailies below 7 using your scale No lower than 5. I work from if the dailies are high the A!C will be higher than I would like. I suggest you find what are your triggers for higher BS. I know I can not eat white bread or rice. Potatoes early in the day or lunch are nothing to worry about either. Rabbit food is always a good way to get lower numbers. The trick is the long term numbers. In the last 3 years I have gotten my A1C from 8.5 to 6.8 last test. I did this by keeping the dailies in the 85 to 140 range. It sure is not easy and everytime I use the needle (5X daily) I get hungery, which means I am gaining weight slowly.

Good luck and pay attention to the highs and lows.

• Posted

My last a1c was 5.7 which is good. My morning sugars are always below 6, it's my after dinner numbers that soar on me. Carbs are definitely my downfall, but I'm getting better at not eating them.
  • Posted

Hi

Your fine. I lost 25lbs and o watch what I eat

I'm off meds for now

Good luck

Sandy

• Posted

Hi Kristin,  keep your blood sugar stable by limiting starves ans simple sugars, forego deserts and don't over eat. No binging of course. Do some research on food that trigger diabetes. Processed meats are known to contribute to diabetes, as are sugar substitutes. At each meal, try to keep your protein levels up and include green leafy vegetables.

hope that helps.

Sounds like youre ours on the right track. You may also want to do some spring cleaning on your over all health, as medications and other medical conditions can worsen blood sugar conditions. 

Traditionally fasting blood sugar test has been used for screening, but now the a1c test is considered a better measure bc it's supposed to give an idea of average blood sugar in the previous three months. However, if you have other conditions or medication, the a1c can actually come out with a false high. Case in point:I have hypothyroidism and take meds for it. My a1c is consistently pre diabetic, but my fasting blood sugar is consistently fantastic.

• Posted

Woke up this morning to a fasting glucose of 6, which explains why I feel so tired. I am testing 2-4 times a day, and my numbers so far, have all been high. I will be talking to my dr about this soon.
  • Posted

I had a scare a little while ago. While I was out, I felt flushed and shaky, generally unwell. I got home, had some dinner and immediately after, tested my level. I was horrified, my number was 2.9, lower than I'd ever seen. A few minutes later, I rechecked, and the reading was 6.3. I know it wasn't an error, as I felt better after eating.

I have no idea what caused this level, I had eaten while out.

• Posted

Well, I'm waiting to see my dr, hopefully next week. My sugar levels have dropped to as low as 2.9, and have been bouncing around like crazy for a few days.

He wants to check my fasting numbers, and probably get a repeat a1c.

I'm hoping that I can get my numbers under control sooner rather than later.

• Posted

Fasting glucose of 7.7 is not a good thing is it? I had this reading when I got up this morning. Never had

a fasting reading that high before.

• Posted

My dr now says to test only once a month. Don't ask me why, but that's what he said.

I weighed myself this morning, and I've gained 8 lbs in about 2 weeks. I haven't tested in about a week either.

I get 200 test strips covered on my drug plan, apparently the government doesn't think diabetics are important enough to cover enough strips to last a year. Diabetics on insulin get 400 strips covered. This is a 1 year period.

It sucks really. They also cover lancets, but those are about $10 for a box of 100, pretty cheap for me.

I need to change my diet again, I ate too much junk while I was away for 2 days.

• Posted

Count your carbs!   Work out how many carbs gives you the levels you want, then try and keep your carbs at or below that level.   Activity also plays a big part:   running a marathon one day and then sitting on the sofa the next won't help, the same activity level each day works great - good luck with that, I've never had any!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.