Pre Diabetic help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently had some blood work done for PCOS and my results came back with signs of pre diabetes. My doctor hasn’t confirmed it just yet, but says if I keep eating the way I eat and not exercising it will become pre diabetes.

Ive tried looking up recipes for breakfast and dinner but each site tells me something different about what foods are best for me. Could someone explain what I should be eating everyday? Such as links to recipes and snack ideas or how to portion correctly or which food groups to avoid? I’d really appreciate it, this news is very scary to me since I’m only 20 years old. 

Also, would swimming and walking daily be a good exercise? I’m not sure where to start with all of this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's good that you have caught this early. Walking does wonders for keeping blood sugar levels at the correct levels. However, diet is the most important. Any exercise could only benefit you. You can start by adjusting your diet. Try do eliminate or replace some junk food like eating less candy bars and breads. Up your fiber and you will see a difference. Keep that waistline shrinking because that's where diabetes lives !

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Breena, you’ll want to do a high protein, gluten free diet. Limit starches!! Limit processed foods because they contain chemicals that can worsen health conditions. Processed meats containing nitrates ae known to contribute to contribute to diabetes, for example. 

So stick to home cooked fresh foods. I shop at my local farmer!s market so I can get to know the farmers and whether the food is grown with chemicals.

Initially, you'll want to extremely limit your carbs. This means lots of green veggies and meats, fish and poultry. Stay away from fruit juices and limit fruit to two small servings per day. A small 2” apple is a serving a half 3” apple is a serving.  Berries are your best choices for “low glycemic” fruit choices.

Limit breads and starches (potatoes, rice, etc.) to two small servings per day. 

You’ll have to research carbs  and glycemic indexes a bit. 

Good handy snacks are nuts, and boiled eggs.

Eggs are a fabulous food!

For example:

Breakfast- 2 eggs, small piece of gf toast

Snack- 2Tbsp nuts

Lunch- open face turkey sandwich with avocados, mustard and cucumbers or lettuce. 5 strawberries. Glass of almond milk.  Note- if you’re really hungry, you can make a smoothie of the almond milk and strawberries with protein powder and ice.

Snack- two boiled eggs

Dinner- beef stir fry with veggies. (No starches, limit sweet veggies like carrots) Make your own sauce using gf tamari sauce, a little avocado oil and and a couple Tbsp of orange juice.

Consider overall health; you might look into liver health, as it can affect the pancreas and digestion. Chronic or subacute pancreatitis can contribute to poor digestion and is often undiagnosed. If you have poor digestion, you'll need digestive enzymes and vitamin and mineral supplements, as nutritional deficiencies can contribute to diabetes.

Last, PCOS and thyroid disease as well as poor digestion are often linked. You’ll want to keep an eye on your thyroid snd make sure your body temp is normal as more than one degree F below normal body temp can indicate hypothyroidism. 

The PCOS, thyroid and pancreas are all part of the endocrine system, do conditions could be related. You might condider seeing an endocrinologist.

• Posted

LOL!  You have pre-pre-diabetes?  OMG!

Here's the thing, it's not all that bad.  Give up the big, fat meals and tons of sugar, and you're half way there.  Get out and walk two to five miles a day, and that will probably be enough.  Diabetes calls for moderate quantities of easy to moderate exercise, and that's it.

There's no single specific diet.  Pure sugar, and white bread, and white rice are all discouraged, but even that need not be absolute.  Learn to count carbohydrates ("carbs"wink rather than calories.  Just learn to keep each meal under 50, or 60, or even 75 carbs.  That is probably a change.  It probably means giving up French fries (as we call them here in the US, chips in the UK), though I guess you can still have a couple, if you really must.

All the meat you want, pretty much all the cheese, but not so much fresh milk, fresh fruit in moderation but not fruit juice, all the lettuce you want and pretty good quantities of any fresh veggies.

Cutting carbs *way* back is just not necessary, not for pre-pre!  Some people do like these extreme "ketogenic" diets for full diabetes, and hey, some like them just for everyone, but that's an advanced topic, and they are not for everyone.

So take it easy, get out and walk.

If you really want to get serious, get one of the blood glucose (BG) testing meters and kits and use that at home to measure your BG levels.  Once you can see where those are, and what happens when you eat too much and/or don't exercise, you can adjust easily enough, at the pre-pre stage!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.