Pre menopause foods

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone have worsening symptoms after eating certain foods?

These menopause symptoms can be terrible I read people's posts of stomach problems chest pain flushing the list goes on. I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel but this is ridiculous

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I've noticed if I have spicy food it makes my hot flushes bad especially during the night, I had Chinese food last night which was hot, I won't do it again, menopause is bad enough without causing added problems x
  • Posted

Hi Misty, I try to stay away from alcohol, caffeine and spicy food as these seem to excacerbate the symptoms - it's just not worth it 😊
    • Posted

I have been getting symptoms from simple things such as cheese. Never had this now do
    • Posted

Yeah cheese isn't great, I seemed to develop an allergy to it - made my throat clogg up, although this didn't happen all the time but seemed to be when I was feeling stressed. I think the simpler, plainer and more natural the better.
  • Posted

Its just a roller coaster ride..or a vicious cycle. i kept reading on the net, they said cut out sugar, processed foods, white flour, tea, coffee ..then they said wipe out wheat and then dairy, corn etc etc

then i come across an article that says because the women bring on drastic changes in diet during menopause thats why stomach problems start- the bloating, belching, hypoglycemia etc etc

i know my tongue is very sensitive and i cant have chilli that was normal for my household, so ive cut down on that. I brought on many changes in diet getting scared of diabetes.....the symptoms are so shocking that women are forced to change their diets but things may be going a little too far....you are right..its ridiculous ! I wouldnt like women to go gluten - free, celiac, etc etc - we are social beings and need to stay connected with the world and be still able to tolerate normal diets.

• Edited

Hello

I started to have heartburn in peri - which I have never suffered from before. I hate taking meds and the ones my dr recommended for heartburn were really heavy.In the end I went to see a nutrionalist who thought I had a gluten or wheat sensitivity (not allergy). I wasn't entirely convinced she was right but cut all wheat from my diet for a week and everything cleared up completely. An amazing difference.

Wheat is not an easy thing to take out of your diet. I live in France where the baguette is a stable part of the diet but actually once you make a few adjustments its quite simple and for me at least is well worth the benefits of stopping the heartburn (plus other health benefits). Not for everyone but for me its been a great step forward.

• Posted

Be careful of spicy food, even black pepper can make you feel sick. Little very at a time. Try a few bites at a time. It will get better but eating in small bites helps.

Even water would give me a stomach ache if I drank more than 1/4 a cup. Just take it slow, and eat small portions at a time. I started making fresh vegetable juice and fruit juice, because it was hard to eat. So opt for juices and wait till it passes, if it continues to bother you.

• Posted

oops, we need an edit button: Eat very little at a time.
  • Posted

Hi Misty

I had huge boating looked pregnant with bread and went from having it every day to very rarely now. It was hard and at first I used gluten free stuff. Now I've got used to just not having it. It took a few years of going back to it because I love toast. But every time the bloating.

I also went off eggs I couldn't stand the smell of them like a pregnancy aversion. I can eat them again now but not as many as I used to.

Also had a few years with tea and coffee making making nausea worse. I switched to white tea and fruit tea, again this is better now and I drink a few cups of ordinary tea and 2 cups of coffee.

With the bread I haven't really tried it lately because it's bit something I even think about any more.

• Posted

It's amazing what our bodies do to us during the change!
    • Posted

Hi Zigangie, I had the same exact effect with bread. My belly bloats up. But I can't seem to live without it completely so I eat very little of it, better than craving it since it is a weakness of mine. But the week I don't eat it, my belly goes back to normal. Of course, only white bread or sourdough are my favorites, and the best ones to eat.
  • Posted

Although my hot flushes haven't been that bad but alcohol and coffee would bring them on, thankfully i can have both now without it always happening!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.