Pre-op

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ladies,

My pre-op is this week and I was wondering what actually happens. I realise every hospital is different, but if you could give me some idea, I would be really grateful. Do you get to ask questions?

Thank you.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Blood and urine tests. Blood Prssure and ECG.

Loads of questions about allergies and per envious reaction toanaesthetics

Questions about head movement ( breathing and recovery) no of false teeth  and metals in body ( lol)

explanation of procedure and recovery tips.

Pre op is to ensure that any pre indicators for the operation are known and to explain what will happen before during and after.

Nothing to get too anxious about.

Best wishes for this and your op. 

• Posted

Thank you very much Deb, much appreciated. It's good to have an idea beforehand. Nerves are kicking in!
  • Posted

Everything Deb said...I also had to drink citrate day before and be on liquid diet. This is to cleanse your system. Best of luck. I can't believe I'm going on my 7th week it flew.
  • Posted

Hi Tony

I see Debbie and Maria have covered most of it.  I started a journal and I wrote down all the questions I wanted to ask (my mind goes blank when I get into medical rooms!) also keeping a journal you can plot your progress on how you do, so if you do have a down day after the op you can cheer yourself up by looking at how much you have progressed.  I am due for my post-op check up on the 15th June so my last page in the journal has questions I want to ask at that appointment, plus I want to hug and kiss the surgeon for curing all my problems.  

Don't forget to pack oil of peppermint in your case.  2/3 drops in a glass of water 3 times a day will stop any gas pain (the pain from the gas is pretty bad, as some of the other ladies will tell you).  

Good luck with your pre-op.  Have you got an operation date yet? 

Warmest Wishes

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, I'm just writing down some questions now! Thank you for your reply.

My date is 15 June. Eek!!!

• Posted

Hi Toni

Just wanted to wish you good luck for Monday.  I hope you are first down, saves waiting about getting nervous and then you have the rest of the day to start recovery.  I was second down and it was great.  

Hope you are all packed and ready to go.  I will be thinking of you on Monday.  I am having my 3 month check at 4.35 p.m. that day, I am quite looking forward to it.  I hope to swan into my surgeon's office looking the 30 years younger I feel!  I'd love to hug him and tell him how grateful I am.

Let us know how you get on as soon as you can, you will soon be joining us all on the 'other side'.  Take care and have a lovely restful weekend so you are calm for Monday.  (Tee! hee! I know that is asking a lot but it is supposed to help the healing!)

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Hi Jacqui,

Many thanks for your message, but the op was cancelled last Monday!! I couldn't believe it.

Hospital rang to say they weren't happy with my ECG results at the pre op, so I am now being referred to Cardiology! Have an appt with GP next week who will then have to refer me. So I should think it will be another couple of months yet! I was all psyched up too!!!

Good luck with your appt. on Monday, sounds like you have a wonderful surgeon!!! Can you send him my way??? Lol!!

Thanks again Jaqui, have a lovely weekend.

Toni

• Posted

Hi Toni

I am so sorrycry, what a bitter blow, your emotions must be all over the place.  Hope you have not got too serious a problem it must be very worrying for you.  

Many thanks for your good wishes.  Let me know how you get on at Cardiology.  

Come to Norfolk and you can have my Surgeon, he is lovely, the staff all worship him, now I know why.  

You too have a great weekend.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Bless you Jaqui, yes, my emotions have been all over the place! My experience of consultant/surgeon/surgeons Secretary haven't exactly been that good or reassuring.

So I am going to forget about it all this weekend and spend time with my family and enjoy our village summer fair!

Take care Jaqui

Best wishes, Toni

• Posted

Hi Toni

Hope you have a lovely time at the Summer Fair, enjoy yourselves.

Love

Jacqui lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.