Pre-op booked

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have pre-op booked next week for cyst removal, never been in for an op before, can you tell me how long prep visit will take and what will happen?

thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dizzylizzie,

My pre-op was a week ago and it took about three hours. It included an overall exam (blood pressure, etc), they took chest X-rays, did an EKG, took my blood, and admitted me to the hospital in advance. They did the admission and took care of the paperwork in advance, so that all I had on the day of the surgery (day before yesterday) was show-up. The surgery went well and they sent me home the same day. That is how it's done here in the US, but I think it is different in your country.

The laparoscopy took less than an hour, where they did 4 small incisions (one in each side of my pelvis, one in my navel, and one just unnder my belly.  The incisions are about 1.5 cm, and they used no stiches, just bandaids. The anesthesia left me a little groggy for the day, but really not bad. The next day was the toughest because I had quite a bit of carbon in my stomach. They do that to expand the stomach and create more space for the surgeon to do her work. The gas finally came out last night, so I slept fairly well. I am still taking Tylenos and Oxycodon, but I'll probably stop soon.

So, all things considered, the entire experience was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Hope this helps, and please keep us posted.

Lorena

• Posted

I'm in the UK and my pre-op was about an hour if that. It was a set of questions on general health, height and weight measured, a blood test and an ECG.
    • Posted

Blood pressure measured too and swab to check not carrying MRSA
    • Posted

Thanks both, will they tell me about what to expect on the day?  Even give me a date?  Had so many blood tests in the last few weeks, probably the same for everyone, beginning to feel like a pin cushion!
    • Posted

Depends on your health authority, mine didn't but did give me leaflets on what to expect. Somewhat unusually I already knew the date and understand that most are decided after the pre-op appointment with some given at.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.