pre op worries

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I'm new to the site, and after reading several of your posts think I might get some good advice from you all.! I'm 52 and three weeks away from total hip replacement after a diagnosis of osteoarthritis 4 years ago. My condition suddenly took a nosedive after bereavement last year, and now I can't wait to regain function and get on with my life. I work full time in a very stressful environment in the NHS, so am anxious that my sick time needs to be to the minimum, ( I must say however, my employer has been brilliant putting me into lighter duties since I had to return to work after the first cancellation!).I have recently become a grandparent for the first time, so am hoping to take on some of my grand - daughters childcare next year.  My op was cancelled first time in July as the anaesthetist wasn't happy with 'normal' abnormalities on my ECG, and am due for pre op assessment next week, so am obviously worried they won't be happy again! One of my main worries however is the fact that I seem to be experiencing quite severe new, what I think may be referred pains, both through my affected leg down through the knee, over the shin and as far as the top of the toes, and now through my 'good' leg in the thigh and to the side of the knee, all of which are making my walking even worse. Will these pains all resolve after surgery as I'm worried it will hamper my rehab? I am a bit overweight, which I have been trying to address, which obviously isn't very easy when you can hardly walk. I'd be grateful for any advice or tipswink

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've severe degenerative arthritis in both the  hips got my 1st appointment at hospital tomorrow it sounds like a long process before they operate can't go on with the pain 

• Posted

Doing the physio post op is so important even if it's painful to get the joint moving. If the pain is being caused by the joint once the surgery is done hopefully it will go away 

• Posted

Couldn't agree more wknight - follow the PT instructions religiously - those who use excuses not to do them are the ones who are most unsuccessful post op.

• Posted

I am 55 and had a left total hip replacement in March and right total hip replacement in July.

Before the op I was TRYING to walk with two sticks. I also had pains in my feet, along with the excruciating pains in my groin my buttock.....

In 5 months I have gone from walking with 2 sticks and hardly leaving the house to buying a Fitbit last week and aiming for 10,000 steps a day.

The operation has changed my life.

I religiously did the post op exercises.....and really tried not to "over do it".....as you are told ALOT.

After 2nd operation I was able to walk soooo much better after a week.....

I found you tube videos about physio and exercises and progress helpful.

(I avoided seeing any clips showing the operation!).

I imagine most of your pains will be related to compensating for your hip.

And every day post op you will feel an improvement.......

Good luck with this pre-op.

Take it easy post op....BUT also follow the exercises.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.