pre operation advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi i am due to have both my bunions done on June 5th, I do not get sick pay except SSP so this is why have opted for having them both done. I know I shall be off wok for around 6 weeks and expect some pain, swelling, etc. I would welcome any tips, advice and things to expect. How long before I can actually fully weight bear and how long before I can drive?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Good luck Geraldine. I would say it depends very much what your job is, if you mostly sit you will be ok to work probably 8 weeks on. I drove at 6 weeks for short distances but I don't know if you are having both feet done as I only had one foot operated on.

• Posted

Hi smab, i am now 2nd day post op, hard work trying to walk on my heels, keeping feet elevated all the time, no driving for 6 weeks. Have to keep bangages on until i return on 22nd june for re xray and sutures out. so very smelly feet!! the surgeon discovered i have osteoparosis and arthritis in my bones which will make healing harder and maybe longer, pain not as bad as i expected, only worse when i have mobilised a bit then they throb. am not going to project as to when i return to work but i am a nurse in a nursing home so on my feet moving all day long....so maybe time for a change??  Hope youre doing ok, thanks for avice.
    • Posted

Hi Geraldine don't push yourself I was advised to do no more than visit the toilet then go back to bed for the first 3 days. Elevate and ice your ankle as you don't want to get the dressing wet, as this could cause infection. I bought a limbo on line which meant I could shower without getting my dressing wet. It took a bit of manoveuring but I sat in our shower tray without weight bearing and then used my arms and good legs to get out of the shower, I then sat on the floor to get dry. I felt so much better for being able to shower,
    • Posted

Hi I to am 1 day post op heel walking to the washroom has proven very difficult and painful the ankle blocker off in less than 24 hours now taking Tylenol #3 anyway it's keeping my foot elevated as much as possible and Iceing it 20 mins on 20 mons off I don't know if you ever heard of this but my doctor suggested putting the ice behind my knee so the chills with blood it helps with swelling
  • Posted

Hi Geraldine.   I'm 6 weeks and I am still finding it difficult to weightbear and, as I only had one foot done, I am mainly using the other foot to take the weight.  I use a walking stick for support but over half hour and my foot hurts and swells up.  A lot of people who have to return to work find it difficult so look on here for their experiences.  You still need to keep your foot/feet raised most of the time during the day to stop the swelling, so if you have a desk job then you would be ok, I guess.  Hope your employers are kind and thoughtful.  This is a major operation and takes a really long and slow time to recover; as I am finding out for myself.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, thanks for your reply, its a bit worying as I have opted to have them both done!!  also work as nurse in a home so on my feet all day!  May have to reconsider having them both done, my consultant said 6 weeks off, oh dear!
    • Posted

Well this is my experience and I have read others have the same.  There is also a problem finding a shoe to fit, because of swelling.  I've noted that some people wear oversized trainers.  As I don't like my toes covered at moment I've bought some Velcro strapped sandals.

Maybe check on the type of operation, there are a lot of info sites online.  I had scarf and akin osteoctomy with a hammer toe straightened with a k wire.  This has made my foot a little sorer, where the pin stuck onto the middle toes metatasol bone.  What is your op?

• Posted

I work in school as an HLTA which means I am on my feet a lot of the time. I have just started doing 13 hours a week on a phased return which I am finding more than enough after 13 weeks. As I said before I only had surgery to 1 foot, so don't expect to much too soon.
  • Posted

Hi Geraldine

i think it would be really tough to do a full shift at 6 weeks. I am 6 weeks post op, have just got into trainers 2 sizes up and feel that I have had enough after an hour or two. In terms of driving I believe you have to be able to do an emergency stop (at least your consultant considers you can), but the reality would be what your journey is like - even if 'fit' to drive, if your journey was in heavy traffic with lots of starts, stops and gear changes, that would be much tougher than a longer journey in easy driving conditions. It's difficult if you will only get SSP - would your employer consider shorter shifts, or easier duties while you recover? I started back in my desk job after 2 weeks, but working from home - it's worth a chat about how your employer could support you as it's relatively temporary. Good luck!

• Posted

I had to go to see Occupational Health before my return to work, they were very good at talking through a phased return, if at any time I feel I am doing too much and this is effecting my recovery then the plan is to revert to the percentage of work I was doing the week before. I started at 25% of my hours, which working in school was 7 hours over the week. It certainly is a requirement of most employers as they have a duty to protect you from damaging your health or you having an accident.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.