Pre-virus euphoria anyone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered from cfs for nearly 30 years and I suspect it's something to do with the immune system and viruses.

During that time I've noticed again and again, that whenever I catch a cold or other virus, I have a (very rare) fantastic day before the symptoms arrive. I feel unusually relaxed, healthy and happy for a day or so, then I crash into my cold or flu symptoms the following day. I've noticed this happen so many times that I can sometimes predict the onset of a cold.

I've never met anyone who has this experience. I suspect that most healthy people normally feel well enough not to notice the phenomenon even if it happens to them (I probably notice it only because I usually feel terrible).

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? Could it provide any insight into what happens in cfs patients' (Or healthy people's) immune systems?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes I kinda know what you mean! I almost feel better when I get a cold. I think its because our immune systems are gearing up for a battle. Actually now that I think about it, the night before I get sick , I cannot sleep at all, because I feel slightly energetic and happy. All I can say is Weird!! Ive had cfs for 28 years!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Tracy - I was convinced nobody would! Yeah that makes perfect sense to me about the immune system preparing for battle. Beautifully put.

Sorry to hear that you've had cfs for 28 years - I think I must be about the same. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks Tracy.

• Posted

And I get this too, at least I used to. I've had it nearly 35 years now and I'm the first ten years or so come springtime I could almost "feel the sap rising" and I would feel full of energy for about 3 weeks and I knew what was coming. Then I would feel slower and slower until one moment it would feel as if someone had pulled a plug from the bottom of my feet and I could feel all my energy flooding down and out of my body! Weird!

It doesn't happen now tho.

Strange illness isn't it?

• Posted

Certainly is very strange, and very frustrating that it's so poorly understood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.