Precocious puberty

Posted , 23 users are following.

I am writing this posting to gain some further understanding of the premature puberty.

My daughter was 4 1/2 when I noticed her having proper body odour. The doctor said that some kids just get it and for her to wear deoderant. I was never totally happy with it as it didn't seem normal to me. My daughter has always been tall and slim for her age and I have always been concerned that she is a little too tall. Last summer, aged 5 1/2 I noticed she seemed to have more hairs on her legs and a couple of dark pubic hairs. I took her to a new doctor, as we had moved, and he refered her straight away to the paediatrician at the hospital, as when he looked at her height he thought she was alittle too tall for her age.

A year later my little girl has breast buds and is having injections every 4 weeks to halt the puberty. She has had all the blood tests to check her hormone levels which were positive for puberty, as well as her bone age (currently 8 1/2) by xray. She has had an MRI scan of her brain to check for tumours and ultrasound scan of her pelvis for polycystic ovaries. She has been very good with it all but all she knows is that she is growing a bit too fast and the doctors want to slow her down a bit.

We have been told by the paediatrician that it is best for her to have these injections otherwise she will start her periods, which they do not want her to do. They have also told us that unless they halt the puberty that she could end up short because she has already started her growth spurt which will finish 4 years too early. She is already 4ft 4 at age 6 and in age 9-10 clothes. Her puberty doesn't seem to be linked to obesity though as some papers seem to sugest as her BMI is healthy for her age and height. Unfortunately they don't seem to have an answer as to why this has happened to my daughter.

We are finding the hardest bit is the teenage strops and temper that appear to be coming with it. We have been told to expect her to be more grown up in age and expect the hormone strops because the injections contain a massive overdose of the puberty hormones to confuse her body. She does seem to be struggling with concentration and odd little behaviour issues at school which we feel could be related.

If anyone else is experiencing this kind of thing it would be great to hear about it!!

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but it already it feels great to vent about this stuff! 

My daughter has CPP and was diagnosed at 2 years old. She is having injections every 3 months which seem to be working well however, the big she gets the harder its becoming. She HATES having it done. She is 5 now and has a lot of questions. We have been honest with her from the start but, she doesn't understand why she is the only one. The testing and hospital treatments have left her with a huge fear of needles and plasters.

For those more seasoned parents supporting their children with CPP, i have a couple of questions.

The first being, when does this stop? is it our choice or the doctors/nurses? they never give a definitive answer to this! I know we are way off but, my daughter keeps asking me. 

Did your child ever have to be retested to maintain the correct hormone levels? -not sure we could handle that again. 

Any advice would be great.

Hayley

• Posted

Hi Hayley,

My almost 8 yr old is in same boat. We are weighing the options of treating with lupron or let the nature take its course. Do u know the long term side effects of lupron?

• Posted

Do u know injections make them gain weight?
    • Posted

My daughter now 10 years  has been having these injections for the last one year.She has put on about 12 kilos since then and looks quite grown up.I am now having to get her adult size8-10 clothing for her, really worried.

Do they lose weight once the injections stop?

• Posted

Hi, I've just been reading this forum and seen your question and wanted to respond, I noticed symptoms when my daughter was 18months but didn't get a diagnoses untill she was 4. She is 6 now and has been having the injections for over 2 years and in 7-8 clothes but that is due to height not weight. She is very slim and hasn't a ounce of fat on her. But she is very active (horse rides, walks the dog every day) and has a good balanced diet, so I think you just have to be sensible with them and the weight should be fine. But every child is different and I feel my daughter has a fast metabolism due to her constantly needing to snack! I hope this helps and for me it is nice to talk to somebody that is in the same boat as us!

• Posted

Hi

My daughter is undergoing treatment for early puberty

She was 6 when diagnosed and is now 7

What I’m struggling with is her mood swings and depression 

I’m trying to get a referral to Chams but the waiting list is so long 

I want to take her privately to see someone but I’m not sure who is best? Psychologst? Psychiatrist? Art Theraphy etc

Any recommendations?

Did any of you get help with mood swings and depression?

Please advise

Thanks 

• Posted

Hello Guest,

I have a quiet a similar story to yours, my daughter had her period when she 10 months and ve been diagnosed with precocious puberty....she is just over 10 today and completely fine...a bit of mood swings here and there.

my problem is her weight and I hope it will go down after stopping the hormonal injections.she is 150cm tall and 62kg.

• Posted

I found this forum while researching about precocious puberty and hope your experience would help me take a decision in my daughter's case. I have noticed breast buds when she is 7.4 (currently she is 8.4) . There is no evidence from the reports that it is a CPP. I am in a confused state whether to go for treatment or not. Please help me by sharing your experience about what would be side effects with the treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.