Pred and Blood Glucose "Spikes"

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is puzzling husband (and I) as the word "spike" implies short period of time with low or normal levels either side - so how significant is a spike?

If a spike occurs between testing then there's no record of it so one could go for days  unaware that spikes are/were occurring.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Exactly - which is why the Hba1c figure is so important in patients on pred. This is a reflection of the average level of blood sugar over the previous 3 months. 

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/glycated-hemoglobin-test-hba1c

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

The aim is to keep it reasonably in range -  by medications and diet. The occasional high BS won't do much damage - it is sustained high levels that are more important. A bit like a single gust of wind now and again doesn't do much damage, several hours of high speed winds will cause all sorts of havoc. 

• Posted

Hi Jones, EileenH is correct, spikes occur after eating something with too many carbs or eating too much of something. I read a book number of years ago by Dr Bernstein, he had a patient who ate a head of lettuce and could not understand why BS spiked. Too much of a good thing. The important thing is to try and limited the spikes. Test blood a good 2 hours after eating, you can take your day readings and work out your reads contributing to A1C. I do that periodically to see how I am doing. I been avoiding taking insulin for 30 - 40 years. I want a good life so I am very careful what I eat. When I was on high doses my A1C was 8.5, now under 10 my A1C iast month was 6.1. Which is acceptable. If you have any questions contact me with a private message. Stay positive, active and smile. ☺️
  • Posted

The spike which prompted this query was late mid morning and he's had the meter for only 5 days.

Took Pred(35mg) at 5.30 am - did not test pre breakfast at 9.15am but tested at 11.45 when it was 15.8 mmol/L then he went off to his shed, did some welding and fitted the towbar which hed made to the trailer (lying under the trailer) came for something to eat 2.45pm tested - 3.8. we have evening meal at 8pm ish and his readings  before meal to date have been 3.9, 3.00, 3.1, 4.4, 5.4 ad 4.8 - readings each night  at 2hrs after end of meal have been 7.9, 4.7, 9.9, 9.8, 7.4 and not taken yet tonight - seemingly in line with what Michdonn wrote in another thread about levels being erratic.

He's on 40mg Glic.

Husband sees Diabetes Nurse next week but if she takes blood for HbA1c there'll one month of pror to commencing pred.

This is taking some getting used to and I'm so glad I found this forum so soon after his diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.