Pred and Prediabetes

Posted , 12 users are following.

Good evening all. I am currently on 8.5mg pred and have developed prediabetes since being on steroid. I am trying hard to cut carbs as this is helping control blood sugars. I've found midday is the worst time and I can eat no carbs then. My question is at what level of pred can I hope this will improve? Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Susan, sorry to hear you have this extra health issue to handle on top if PMR. I've also been told I'm pre-diabetic and have been cutting carbs. How do you know you're blood sugar is worst at lunchtime and are you testing your blood sugar yourself?

Unfortunately I don't have any answers re the dosage of Prednisone that you might expect blood sugar improvement, but wanted to say that there are various supplements that are meant help with managing blood sugar and inflammation; I started taking some of these at the start of 2019. I won't know if they're helping until I have my next blood test in April. I've also joined Weight Watchers and hope that losing some weight will also help.

Best wishes too you.

• Posted

Thank you Elizamc. I bought a glucometer to monitor my blood sugar at home. I realised my blood sugar rises at lunchtime dramatically if I eat any carbs. I think its after absorbing the pred. I seem to be able to have some at breakfast without a problem. (presumably the pred takes a while to cause the effect). Hope your supplements help but I suspect we have to adjust to low carb to control it. Good luck and thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Susan, I am a longtime type 2 Diabetic. You are on the correct path, cut carbs, bread, pasta, anything made with grains, nothing that has sugar, for the most part anything sweet. Increase your physical activity, walking, swimming running anything to burn glucose. It is not easy but as you change your life style it does get easier. We are creators of habit, one must break old and develop new habits for a new lifestyle. Good luck on your PMR journey, stay positive, active and try to smile. 🙂

• Posted

People don't believe me but my first winter on pred, having started the previous June and giving up virtually all carbs from grains or sugar (replaced with protein), I developed a craving for greens like kale! I no longer even particularly like sweets, although a mouthful of something sweet at the end of a meal is pleasant. I do eat carbs from grains now, have been around 2-3 mg for a couple of years, but not much, don't seem to want them. So, yes, new habits can develop. 😃

• Posted

BS can spike easily, but the most important test is long term HbA1c test. Cutting simple carbs from your diet will help a lot. Complex carbs with fibers slow down absorption and avoid BS spikes. Even the order you take your food can make a difference. If you had high fiber meal, taking some desert after might be fine.

Besides genetics, which we can't do much about, one thing that helps a LOT is very physically active life. I do exercise much more then the average person , and I believe that controls my long term blood sugar. My diet did not change at all while on pred.

• Posted

Difficult to say really - everyone is different.

Do you mean your blood sugar readings peak after lunch when you eat carbs? The one-off BS readings aren't a good guide with pred-induced diabetes at any stage since they may coincide with one of the random spikes of glucose being released from the liver because of the pred and make things look worse than they really are The Hba1c reading that reflects the average levels over the previous 3 months is far more informative - keeping the BS level low most of the time will bring that figure down and eating lots of salads and above ground vegetables gives you moderate amounts of carbs over a long period which won't cause as bad spikes. However - using the glucometer would be useful to identify particular foods that contribute to the BS level as that can vary from person to person. And as the guys said - having lunch and then going for a walk will also help lower that spike.

• Posted

Thank you everyone. As always - useful and supportive information. Such a good forum!

• Posted

Susan, I read a book years ago by a prominent Diabetes doctor. One of examples he used was even if you ate just too much lettuce you could raise your blood glucose. Now as EileenH has said we are all different, when I am trying to get control I test 7 times a day, normally only once or twice, first thing in morning and one other different time. When the daily readings are good the A1C read will also be good. One or two bad readings has little effect on the A1C reading. Good luck I know it's a pain, stay active, watch your diet. I am in the same battle I do understand. 🙂 and smile, it helpe!

• Posted

I will Michdonn. Thanks. Last HbA1c was 44 from 45 so going right way. I agree about monitoring, thats a good idea. Am smiling still, we have to make the most of life everyday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.