Predisilone making me feel terrible - help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive been taking preds since Feb this year for ILD which is a lung condition. I felt great up until about August. Since then ive been having serious mental health problems the likes of anxiety, aggression, confusion etc. i spoke with my team and they told me to drop down from 10mg to 7.50mg. but nothing in my head has changed. i have also been on escitalopram, an antidepressant, for several years which have worked fine. i can only assume its the preds causing my problem but its a bit chicken and egg!

Any advice or indeed anyone else suffering the same would be really helpful. Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry can't help, been on prednisolone for 18 months now and even on higher doses 30mgs to start, down to 20mgs over a period of three months and then slowly lower and lower, my only problem was that I could eat a scabby dog, went down to 2 1/2mgs but have since had to go back up to 10mgs and am still fine on that

Could it be that prednisolone and your anti depressant are not compatible?

regards Sue

• Posted

its so bloody annoying doctors wont admit pred causes more probs than its worth , i was on it for 4 weeks a while back for achest infection it was a nightmare getting off it i had palpatations , tremors , really ratty in the end i was convinced i was having a heart attack , get back to docs & put your foot down

• Posted

never said a word . it was only after seeing another doc he gave me another 2 weeks dose & told me to reduce them gradually but it still took a while to get back to feeling normal again i will never take them again no mater how bad my chest is .

• Posted

Dropping from 10 to 7.5 mgs is too much. Having been on prednisone that long causes your adrenals to cease functioning. You have to gradually reduce no more than 10 percent of your dosage ( 1 or 1/2 mg).

• Posted

I agree, Peggy, not enough people are told to reduce slowly

• Posted

they actually told me to take 5mg, 10mg, 5mg, 10mg tablets etc to make 71/2mg over two days. im getting really concerned with my moods they are really causing problems in my life! As far as i can check there is no interaction between preds and escitalopram but surely the solution isnt to increase escitalopram in the hope they will make this horrid feeling go away.

• Posted

i would ask for a second oppinion something deffinitely not right there

• Posted

You can't yoyo with prednisolone like that, chop tablets up to make 7 yes but not jump up and down !!.

• Posted

prednisone will cause each and everything that you ate feeling. I AM A SEVERE ASTHMATIC so i call it my necessary poison! IT CAN CAUSE ANGER, anxiety, severe depression, it makes you feel as if you are going insane and its very difficult to describe every symptom because there are so many different things happening at once. I can stay awake for days. My heart races, my mind races. And i have something that most people have never heard of. I am physically disabled as a result of taking prednisone. I was diagnosed with a bone disease called OSTEONECROSIS . It means death of the bone in medical terms. The prednisone caused a plaque to build up in my blood vessels causing a blockage. As a result of the blood not getting to the bones my bones in both of my knees, both my right and left hip, and left fibula have become decayed. I have holes where there should be bone. the balls of my hips are missing half of the bone. I have been physically disabled since 2011. THERE IS NO CURE, no treatmeant, nothing but pain control for osteonecrosis and that in its self is difficult to control. And to make matters worse, I am and will always be a severe asthmatic who will need to take prednisone to live. I Take several antidepresents and anxiety meds. And the people on this page are correct you need to taper down very slowly from your steroid burts. Talk to your doctors. Explain every symptom. But i hate to say it , you will just have to go through the motions of this drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.