prednisolone

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am now on prednisolone  1  5mg  a day but on the 11th decembwr i am going to the local hospital to have teeth extracted can someone tell me ehat is the reason for this i always use to go to the dentist  

thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If all it is is because of the pred it sounds like someone being over-cautious - unless you are having a lot of teeth removed. Being on pred can mean you don't produce your own cortisol in response to a stressful situation - and that includes trauma and surgery - and that can make you ill. It used to be that they increased the dose of pred during surgery to "protect" you, these days they usually don't bother but keep a closer eye on you.

I've been on pred for over 6 years and at much higher doses than 5mg for most of the time - I now live in Italy and when I asked about having a wisdom tooth out a couple of years ago it was done in the dental practice. I am also on the equivalent of warfarin so I was a bit apprehensive but there was no bother and very little bleeding - the hospital was the other side of the road anyway! 

All of the people in my usual forum, polymyalgia rheumatica and GCA, are on varying doses of pred, I don't know of anyone who has had to go to the hospital for dental treatment although we've all seen articles that say we will. I think it is a left-over from days when they were more worried about it. 

• Posted

Oh! Did I miss this?

Carol, is that 5mg a day or 15mg a day? I maybe misread you.

• Posted

Duh???

Didn't your doctor tell you why you need your teeth extracted? Is it the dentist's decision... or the rheumatologist who ordained it....?

Please do be bold and ask questions of whoever referred you....

I've never heard of a connecton between preds and gums/teeth, unless we're talking about bone shrinkage and osteoporosis affecting your teeth...?!

How old are you?

How long have you been on 15mg?

We need more clues, more information here....

• Posted

It isn't so much the pred/gums/teeth connection I don't think - it is usually fear of increased bleeding because of pred or shock to the system of surgery when the adrenal glands are unable to respond. And infection. All much more likely at a high dose of pred not at 5mg.
    • Posted

Wow, I never knew!

I still don't get why she would need to have the teeth extracted out of fear of increased bleeding. Surely extracting the teeth would create the bleeding... and the extraction would create the shock...

I suspect there's something missing here...

• Posted

Probably - but I missed the possibility she may be on 15mg which you noticed. But there are doctors who panic about such things. But you're right - it's the docs she needs to ask, they have the full story and we can't.
    • Posted

Looks like she is on 5mg...

So all Eileen's points apply, Carol!

• Posted

You're seeing it the wrong way round - that's why they are intending doing it in hospital not in the practice I assume.
    • Posted

Slow to pick it up.... yup. Now I've got it...

Phew (for me) – Carol still has to have her teeth out....

Good luck Carol!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.