Prednisolone

Posted , 7 users are following.

In December i was put on prednisolone & everytime i finish a course my breathing goes so bad i end uo back on them & it now seems that my lungs just don't want to work without them i have tried cutting down bit by bit taking 6 for three days 5 for three days & so on but it has not worked anyone else had this problem & how did you solve the problem ? as i need to get off them 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi thereWilliam144! Like you I take prednisolone each time I have a rescue pack of ciprofloxacin & the predict except for Januuary when the chest infection I had hadn't cleared up I had another course of antibiotics but no pred,but still have had a further two infections one says at the hospital I shouldn't take pred yet I still get given them each time except for the one time.Was first taking 6mgrms for 7 days then after a few months from ending of 2014 or beginning of January 2015 I don't see an end to coming off it myself but it doesn't mean that will be the same for you so don't give up trying! I hope all goes well please keep us posted! I haven't been on this site for s long while as I've had some stressful events to deal with but havet given up checking in from time to time! Good luck William144 & keep strong & to everyone else on this forum will be back soon!🙂
    • Posted

Sorry William144! It's meant to read as prednisolone I didn't dpell it right & probably still haven't , my minds a mess, please excuse me!
    • Posted

wow so you have been on them since 2014 ? have you tried to come off them & what happens when you do 
    • Posted

Morning william144! What I was meant to mention was I only have them every time I need the rescue pack so there are breaks in between but have been on & off them since near the end of 2014 due to repeated infections!
  • Posted

Hi william144,

I've had prednisone prescribed to me twice in the past 2 months. I can only account for 1 day that it actually worked well, and that was when I was on 20mg.  How many mg were you prescribed to begin with? Are you taking this for asthma? COPD? I was surprised the prednisone didnt work as well as it used to when i was younger.  

Anyhow, prednisone doesn't work for everyone. What works for me is Qvar80 and Proventil as my rescue inhaler and I also have a nebulizer at home just in case of an asthma attack.

Tell your doc that the prednisone isn't working for you and you'd like to try something else.

• Posted

Morning sparkymcfly!

I've asked our GP's if there is an alternative of  prednisolone, as I get this with every rescue pack & also can't stand the taste of it it's like poisen not that i've ever been,but its rotten,I've been told I shouldn't take prednisolone as it can put me at risk of infections but I've always had weak immunity & prone to infections for years before I ever started taking prednisolone. I was prescribed it & the antibiotics ciprofloxacine because was tested by X-rays & spirometry in 2014! And was told I definatly have copd& have had infections every 4 to 6 weeks & 8 weeks if I'm lucky & feeling very weak & suffer sore painful joints & can hardly do much as I used to which is to be expected given the circumstances & other long term incurable health conditions, does any of you on this forum suffer the same symptoms!?

• Posted

I forgot to mention I've been told there is no alternative to prednisolone! Also what is Qvar80 have never heard of this!?
    • Posted

Its not that they dont work it's when i dont have them that's the problem my health goes down day by day untill the attacks start but when i am on them feel good can get on with life i have Asthma & stage 4 COPD what is Qvar80 and Proventil  ? as i have never had them 
  • Posted

About April 2015 I had a review of my meds, I was on Qvar two puffs twice daily and Ventolin two puffs four times a day as required. The practise nurse changed this as she said Qvar was for asthma not ocpd as I have. The Qvar was changed to Seretide 500 Accuhaler. the Ventolin stayed the same.

About a week later I woke up about 4am unable to get enough oxygen in my lungs, I finished up in hospital where I was put on oxygen and Ventolin nebulizer, and given about ten Prednisolone, after an hour or so I was fine, the Prednisolone is a very good steroid which combats inflammation. About five days later I was back in on the nebulizer and Prednisolone again, to cut a long story short, my wife and the respiritory nurse thought maybe it was the change to Seretide that caused the problem. It was because I was not getting any steroids after being on Qvar for the last 2 or 3 years. The respiritory nurse contacted my doctors and I was prescribed Eklira 322micrograms/dose Genuair this is a steroid but because it is inhaled it only affects the lungs and airways,  So now I take one puff of each Eklira and Seretide and have been ok since, I still have the Ventolin which I use as required but don't often need it. I also have an emergency meds pack which is Prednisolone and antibiotic which I believe I've only used a couple of times in the last year. In conclusion, if you dont use any steroid inhalers then maybe you should

• Posted

Hi William 

I think some of the people who have communicated already are saying they use their rescue pack which include prednisolone when they have a lung infection.

In UK prednisolone is prescribed either for a lung infection or as a maintenance dose for those with severely damaged lungs, the maintenance dose may not be anywhere near as high as the dose prescribed for a lung infections.

Prescriptions for prednisolone for patients come with instructions, if a patient needs to be on them for say around 3 months, the doctor will advise the patient how to gradually increase the dose and also how to gradually decrease the dose.

It is important to take the medication as prescribed by your doctor and it is important not to stop this medication abruptly if you have been on it for a few months.

I am sure the information leaflet that comes with the medicine will give advice also, with warning and cautions.

It would probably be a good idea for you to check in with your doctor concerning your dose, script and symptoms so that you can be professional advised with tailored to suit recommendation and advice specifically for you and your circumstances.

• Posted

Hi William

Had this problem too

Now I take one a day and I can't say I don't have breathing trouble but I have had no excerbations in two Years ...bad days ? Yes but not so bad as to go to hospital

Look up on Google .....

You may be like me and need a low dose maintenance ....maybe mot but it works for me

Regards

• Posted

Thanks for all your replys i have got the copd team coming out on monday they say they going to come up with a plan i will post what they come up with let's hope it works 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.