prednisolone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've started taking prednisolone recently. I was wondering if someone could tell me when the first side effects start, like moon-face, depression... Thanks a lot. I've heard that it has terrible side effects.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello

it all depends on how much you are taking...how long...and the key is to go off ever so slowly.  I have been on Prednisone for over two years...up and down the mg  and  when my Urticaria was in remission I VERY slowly when down on the mg.  Has taken me many months going down by 1 mg every couple of weeks.  I had Chronic Urticaria (hives) and needed both Prednisone and Cycosporine to get me in remission.  I personally did not have any side effects.  No weight gain.  My face got swollen one time for a couple days due as I went down too fast other than that no other side effects.  We are all different but Prednisone has been a big help for me.

i wish you the best

wendy

• Posted

Thanks a lot Wendy smile I have Crohn's disease and it has come back. Now, I am taking 40mg daily. I've been told that I am gonna be on prednisone for 8 weeks and they will taper it down every week.  After one week, I suffer from tremors, rapid heart beat, dizziness and I literally have no energy. I don't know what to do about it. The worst thing is that you cannot control it.

All the best to you too and thanks again for your reply. Hope you feel better now.

Lucy

• Posted

I have been on Pred for 2 months now for PMR. Starting at 15 up to 20 and now at 16. I experienced upper GI issues for the first few weeks, but neither fatigue nor insomnia. My mood is pretty level except for a bit of a low after a taper. 

I think I got great advice to eliminate wheat and grains and sugar from my diet. I'm eating very differently than Im used to, but I'm not hungry or experiencing Pred hunger/cravings. I've read that Pred really messes with carbohydrate metabolism, so maybe limiting carbs has made the difference. On the PMR forum there have been a few people who have had the same experience. I'm eating plenty of cooked veggies, eggs, fish chicken. I've found low carb cracker breads to have something to spread peanut butter on. I've lost about 17 pounds, my glucose levels are going down, my blood pressure is stable. The one thing I'm struggling with is my cholesterol. My ratios are stable but my levels have gone up. So now I'm eating more fish and less cheese. I want to avoid statins. 

I did did go on Fosamax when I learned how fast Pred can affect bones. I already had osteoporosis, but it was stable so I wasn't treating it except for the usual vit D calcium, magnesium. So far fosamax hasn't been a problem for me....fingers crossed.

• Posted

The side effects start to really come in full swing around the first month. It's really important to watch your diet and avoid allergens that could trigger your adrenal system.

• Posted

Are the side effects still there with short term use? I've been put on them for three weeks to try and help my psoriatic arthritis, and have felt pretty good. Unfortunately I think I've over done it at work and today am aching all over.

Its hard to tell if I've got a fuller face cause I've already got chubby cheeks, but my appetite has actually lessened and I feel full very quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.