prednisolone

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been given prednisolone to take 8 a day how is this drug little worried hoping it has less nasty side effects like the fluoxetine am on for mental health

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Only taking them for a week as well hoping the side effects wont be as bad since wont be on them for very long
  • Posted

8 pred a day . What milligram are you taking , yes I'm on pred have been for several years although they do their job I have awful side effects nausea hair loss but the pros outweigh the cons. I think I would be much worse without them

• Posted

5 mg a tablet so 40 mg a day for a week then i come it
    • Posted

Hi Royalty

i have been on Prednisone for a couple of years now and on a low dose the past months down to 2 mg daily with Allegra.  I see you listed hair loss as a side affect?  When did that happen?  A month or so ago I was losing ALOT of hair for a couple of months then I  finally stopped losing hair...thank the Lord! My hair is definetly thinner but at least it stopped falling out like it was....I could have made a wig with the amount of hair in the vacume....and in the drain.... not sure if it was due to Prednisone or stress that was going on in my life at that time.

Are you still losing your hair?

Wendy

• Posted

Hi wendy my hair started getting very thin n the hair loss started around month after I started them I've been taking steriods for several years I'm on maintenance dose. I had lovely thick hair but now very thin hair. I still am losing hair but not much coming out now but my hair is very frazzled at the ends which does upset me. I have my hair cut every 5 weeks to trim the ends so it doesn't look as bad but with that n nausea feeling I'd say it's the worst bit plus I now have warts on three fingers of which I'd never had in my life, I'm 60 years old but the pred 5 mg seems to be doing it's job 

• Posted

I too lost and still somewhat am losing hair plus a huge wart appeared on my neck which was surgically removed about 15 years ago.  It was burnt off recently.  I have been on low dose, 6  to 7 mgs for the last year and a half.  Hair seems to be growing back now. 
    • Posted

Hi Peggy

That is encouraging to hear that your hair is growing back!  And also interesting about the warts......I have had two growths but didn't think that they were warts.....do you think it is from the Prednisone?  I am 66 so thought they were from old age 😊the only other side affect may be some anxiety.  For those that are new on this......yes there may be some side effects with Prednisone however it has been a real blessing for me in quality of life.  I have Chronic Urticaria and the Prednisone keeps hives away.  I have gone down to 1mg but after a week or so I start getting some hives so I might have to just stay on the Prednisone. Just relieved that so far I can stay on low dose.

• Posted

I also developed funny things on one of my feet at side and the bottom the podiatrist told me they were planta warts they were on my feet for a couple years have disapeared now though thank goodness
    • Posted

I've tried to wean off pred lots of times over years but as soon as I get down to one mg I'm back to having lot of imflamation in my body and feeling so tired and ill

• Posted

I too have been slowly trying to go off of the Prednisone for Chronic Urticaria.  Couple months ago I was down to 1mg every other day I was so encouraged until I started breaking out in hives again....so discouraging as I had hoped to go into remission.  I go down 1mg at a time for about 2-3 weeks before going down another 1mg less.....so I am doing this so slowly so my body would adjust.  It's an auto immune situation.  I just wish my body would heal.  

• Posted

Yes exactly what happens to me however slow I take the going down of pred I have autoimmune hepititis so annoying
  • Posted

then i come off them 
  • Posted

Hi Ross. I'm pretty new to pred so don't know a great deal. I've been on them twice.. Once short term and once longer term (3-4 months now but tapering off) .. The short term dose I had my side affects were lightheadedness when stood up after I stopped taking my dose. I can't recall anything too bad. Longer term I experienced quite a bit of emotional ups and downs plus other side effects but you shouldn't experience much of that. Hope it goes well for you Buddy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.