Prednisolone

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have raised calprotectin at 338 and I’m awaiting a pillcam . My mum has crohns and I have severe right sided pain. The GP put me on Prednisolone today for one week, how long will it take to work? And how will I know it has? Will the loan cease? Thankyou 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What dose has he given you?

1 week is almost pointless, usually its over a couple of months

It can take a few days to 2 weeks (according to gi) and ut doesnt work for everyone.

The usual i get is either 40mg doen 5mg per week to 5mg then stop.

Please be reassured that 338 is not sky high number.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi,  I really cannot see why he as only put you on this for one week.  I was on it for 9 months to get me under control and then I had to be weened off gradually. Prednisolene is not a quick fix but its a medication you really donot want to be on for a long time hence my consultant only keeping me on for 9 months before weeking me off.  Luckily they have done the trick for me as I have not needed them since.  However when I left them off I was put on azathioprine and pentasa.  The azathioprine I was on for 4 years, again my Consultant didn't want me on them for longer than 5 years.  Pentasa I will be on until they stop working for me and then something else will have to be found for me.  Everyone is different however.  My brother suffers the same and his medication is different to mine and ironically both our parents suffered and our Father was on the tablets I have used and our Mother had the ones that my brother uses.  Just a bit of information on our family and all different Consultants as we were/are in different areas.  Hope you get something sorted quickly and answers to your questions.  Good luck. 

• Posted

A week will be pretty pointless really. My general rule is 40mg to reduce by 5mg every week (so approx 6-8 wks for most patients). A wks dose you may feel slight improvement around 2/3 day until you finish them but they can take a good few days to kick in on some people so they’d be finished before you’ve even felt the effects. 

Good luck with the pill cam & hope you get some answers soon xx 

• Posted

Hi Chantal.  Absolutely ditto what Hollaka 79 said re dose & timescale. Hope it helps soon. x

• Posted

Thankyou everyone , I went back yesterday and he gave me more , I was doing ok today but took a laxative asni get impacted and now in pain again. He said it’ll work in 5 days ?£&£? I’m so confused.  I know 338 isn’t high but it is when it’s meant to be 50, it’s high enough for them to be be concerned. Thankyou everyone , hopefully my pain will subside , my mum was on it for years back in the 80s and hates that I’m on it sad she takes Pentasa and it’s chabged her life. I hope are all ok atm xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.