Prednisolone cards

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm now off prednisolone but can't remember how long I'm meant to carry the warning cards that show how and when I was weaned down off it. I think it was a year but am not sure can anyone tell me please.

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes - they say a year. Doesn't matter if it is longer - and loads of people never got given a card in the first place!!

• Posted

PS - how rude of me - that is great! Long may it last!!!! Don't go away though - people like to know there is a good chance of getting off pred!

• Posted

Except - you aren't off pred because PMR has gone away are you I now realise?

• Posted

Well done, it’s what we are all

Hoping for. Let’s hope the dreaded PMR doesn’t come back.  Well done. 

• Posted

Good going Porgi, congratulations!

Keep the card I never know I had to carry one. One of these days I may get with some program. Good luck Porgi may you stay off the Devil's Tic Tacs!

??

• Posted

Really pleased for you and, as Eileen says, do keep in touch.

I was on pred. altogether for eight years in two episodes of PMR and I remember what hope it gave me when I read of success stories. That's all more than four years ago now.

My younger sister has been recently diagnosed so I have an added incentive to read all the latest news,. She has reduced from 20 just before Christmas to 9 without any return of symptoms. Fingers crossed the smooth ride continues but she knows to take nothing for granted.

• Posted

Wow, that’s good going for your sister Betty! I hope her smooth reduction continues. 
  • Posted

Hi Porgi

I still have my card after a year...i keep it as a souvenier to remind me of the hard work, pain and endurance it took to get off pred....👍😊

• Posted

Hi porgi

Forgot to congrstulate you on getting off pred. I hope the pain doesn't come back. Mine hasn't, but i have osteoarthritis pain and postherpatic pain after getting shingles whilst on pred. A small price to pay rather than being on pred ....

• Posted

So happy for you. I have only been on pred 6 months and am looking forward to the day I can say, I am off.
  • Posted

Excellent!  Remember to post your good news on the Zero Pred thread!
  • Posted

Congratulations!  How long were you on prednisolone?
  • Posted

I have never heard of carrying a card.  Are you suppose to have a card with you that you are on it or a card that you are off it?
    • Posted

It is a good idea to have a card so if you are in an accident or something people know to give you steroids. I wear a bracelet which I bought off Amazon.
    • Posted

In the UK a blue card should be issued to patients taking pred for more than a short course (that means repeated short courses too) as being on pred may impair your body's ability to react to stress such as illness, injury, trauma or even emotional stress. You should list your pred dose and the duration of your treatment on it. The card is to tell healthcare personnel, in particular, that you may require treatment to supplement your adrenal function, especially in case of an accident or being taken ill suddenly when you may be unable to tell them yourself or there is no-one to tell them for you. In the UK your doctor should have them or the pharmacy. I suspect they may not exist in other countries. The NE of England PMRGCA support group also sell an amplified version which was designed especially for PMRGCA patients. A Medicalert bracelet also fulfils the same purpose.

It should be carried the entire time you are taking pred and for a year at least after stopping taking it.

• Posted

If you go onto the internet and type in steroid card there are several sites that have cards you can print out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.