Prednisolone high dosage in error

Posted , 2 users are following.

I stupidly took 200mg ( in 2 lots of 100mg am then pm) for four days by mistake. I misunderstood the doctor's orders then didnt read his prescription.

This was about 3 weeks ago. I developed (it seems just then) a terrible painful upper stomach. It still aggrivates and food is hard to get past it.

I wondered if anyone else has done this or somehting similar? 

My clinic told me to go back to the correct dose immediately but I think

Ive done some damage.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Even the more normal doses (80mg/day are not unusual) can cause gastric irritation and that is almost certainly your problem.

Were you given a PPI (omeprazole or the like) when you were given the pred? If not - get some from the GP or you could use ranitidine (Zantac). Either can be bought OTC at the pharmacy. That may help - but it will take some time for any irritation to heal. In the meantime perhaps something like Gaviscon would help. 

• Posted

Hi Eileen, thanks, yes he gave me lansoprozole ... but I only took before the morning dose. I completely misunderstood.

I'm having an endoscope tomorrow .. hope it doesnt turn out to be more !

Thanks for your advice, Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.