Prednisolone & knee stiffness/clicking

Posted , 3 users are following.

Currently on 50mg of prednisolone (was on 60mg last week), tapering down to 40mg tomorrow then 5 mg weekly after a week of 40mg.

Currently experiencing very stiff knees which click occasionally and feel achey.

I've heard of people talking about joint pain but isn't so much pain, more just stiffness.

Is this a side effect of the pred and will it go away as a taper down?

This is my first time at a much higher dose, i didn't experience the tiredness/acheyness when I was on 30mg

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm currently weening down from 50mg, 40mg, 30mg, 20mg and 10mg over four weeks and i get some similar aches around the body especially around the legs. From what i've been told its a normal side effect for the drug. It should go away afterwards

• Posted

Prednisone and all other corticosteroids break down collagen and will damage joint tissues. I learned this the hard way after I had corticosteroid injections for the scars on my chest. Both my knees were wobbly a week after I had the injection, and I was perfectly healthy, never had any knee problems ever, and I wasn't playing any sports or doing any lifting.

I told my doctor, and she said it wasn't the injection. I didn't really believe it, but had a 2nd injection about two months later, and the knee problems happened again! This time, my back started to hurt, too! Long story short, I stopped the injection and would never ever touch any type of cortisone again.

FYI: Prednisone and all other corticosteroids are basically synthetic version of the natural human stress hormone called cortisol. This hormone breaks down collagen and other tissues in the body. When exposed to it for a long time, it does a lot of damage and is one of the main cause of age related wrinkles. My skin aged dramatically after the two coricosteroid injections that I had! Stay away!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.