Prednisolone side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

ive e been on 30mg presnisolone daily doe the last 2 weeks and now started to resuce by 5mg per week. ive had some awful side effects (been checked over at a&e and advised by my IBD nurse they are all completley normal and ok). just wondering what other peoples experience were.

side effectsbive got are - awful taste in the mouth, severe anxiety, irratibility, trembling, slower heart rate, epropic beats, upset stomach, increase appetite, increased uriniation

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

For those of us who have Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) or Giant Cell Arteritis (GCA) and take prednisone long term, we must gradually reduce dosage 1 mg or 1/2 mg at a time, at a much slower rate than what you have been given. If you take pred for many weeks or months, your adrenals stop (producing cortisol) working.It sounds as though you are reducing too quickly. I have PMR, started pred at 15 mgs and have been taking it for 3 years. I am now at 7 1/2 mgs going on 7. This 1/2 mg reduction takes about a month. Persons with GCA take 60 to 80 mgs and reduce more quickly at the higher end but begin reduction of 1 mg at the lower dosage. I hope that Elaine, our PMR pro sees your message as she can explain better than I.

• Posted

i don't think that steroids are the solution. i was given iv steroids multiple times for an inflammatory condition and regret ever taking them. There are other ways to get inflammation down in the body.

• Posted

i had no choice really - i was getting very poorly with it and the doctors said it was the only way to get it under control. mt inflammation levels were extremely high

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.