Prednisolone steroids natural replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have Crohn’s Disease and Ankylosing spondylitis for over 15 years now which causes explosive Diarrhoea and bleeding and have taken steroids which always have worked, but have caused a cataract.

Prednisolone steroids are the only medicine which, for me, works 100 %, but has got to many bad side effects to justify to take it.

Prednisolone steroids prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation and also Steroids are a man-made version of hormones normally produced by the adrenal glands, two small glands found above the kidneys.

When taken in doses higher than the amount your body normally produces, steroids reduce redness and swelling (inflammation). This can help with inflammatory conditions

Steroids also reduce the activity of the immune system, the body's natural defence against illness and infection.

This can help treat autoimmune conditions, such as Crohns, which are caused by the immune system mistakenly attacking the body.

I have tried to takes herbs to help with my Crohns, but no luck there, even with the help of several herbalists Dr’s.

So I am now looking for a natural herb or substance like essential oils to copy or mimic the action of the steroid in the hope to get the same effect without the bad side effects and also possibly boost the production of the body’s own steroids or hormones to fight the inflammation.

EG Prednisolone steroids prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation and also Steroids are a man-made version of hormones normally produced by the adrenal glands, two small glands found above the kidneys

After all there are several herbs/ natural remedies out there like Tea Tree Oil witch act like antibiotics so i would have thought it would be possible to boost one’s own “steroids”

Any ideas or opinions welcome.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Anything that works as well as steroids to reduce the inflammation will also have side effects. The antiinflammatory action is just an effect of pred - no different from all the other effects it has but it is a desired effect.

At least what you get from the pharmacy as prednisolone is carely monitored and controlled during manufacture - no herbal or "natural" rememdies are subject to the same scrutiny and you have no idea at all what is in the bottle. Some that are claimed to be "all natural, avoid the steroid effects" have been found to contain large amounts of steroid substances. Large enough to cause a wonderful response of your illness - but also  large enough to be downright dangerous. 

If you feel the side effects of steroids are worse than the illness you have that is your decision - but unmanaged Crohns and AS is going to be pretty unpleasant too. I know what it is like to have to live on steroids - but I haven't felt the side effects worse than my illness. Most of them can be managed.

AS is best managed with anti-TNF drugs - not pred. Have you not tried one of them? There are 5.

• Posted

I am on humira on a weekly injection regime, and i take mezalavant. it is the Diarrhoea and bleeding which is the worst problem and that is not even cotrolled by my loperamide and codeine.

Steroids have caused a cataract, leaves me short of breath and cause severe bloating, so i do not win at all taken them just when i need to go and spent a lot of time out of the house.

but I know herbs and vitamins can help people a lot, i took boneset once and several other herbs for Pleurisy and Pneumonia. the Dr said go to hospital cause you need strong antibiotics, but i stayed at home and got better even with a temperature of 40 etc

so I know everything has got side effects but a small boost of once own production of the hormones or steroids maybe have less side effects or acceptable once

• Posted

A cataract is hardly a problem - it is removed, an artificial lens inserted and it doesn't happen again. 

There are no substances that will "boost" or replace your adrenal steroid production - whatever you read on the internet. The sites that say they sell them are making a profit from people's gullibility.

Loperamide and codeine aren't going to manage diarrhoea and bleeding - you need to discuss this all with your medical team. If you had pneumonia and pleurisy and got better - you were very lucky. The next time you may not be so lucky.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.